Chapter 76

Nicky narrowed her eyes and pointed, "That is the guilty one."

I exhaled slowly in exasperation, "Are you sure?"

"Oh yeah. I would know that face anywhere."

I huffed in annoyance, "Fine. Then lure him over here so I can set him straight."

Nicky quickly marched off and I shook my head. Unbelievable. I can't believe I agreed to do this just to get her out of that lab before she broke something.

It didn't take more than two words from Nicky before she was tearing back toward me full tilt with him hot on her heels and hell bent on revenge. Nicky was right about one thing though. This particular turkey really hated her.

I was very glad that there was no one else around to either see or hear this. Nicky darted past me, "I told you that thing was possessed!"

The turkey focused on me as the closest target. It was apparently not the brightest bird in the flock. I pulled my lips back from my teeth as I snarled at the bird that had almost reached me. It practically did a somersault as it tried to come to an instantaneous stop.

I growled lowly at it as it managed to regain its balance and tear off in the other direction even faster than it had arrived. I glared at Nicky, "Happy now?"

She finally grinned, "Yep. It was worth the caffeine crash just to see that overgrown drumstick finally meet his match."

I highly doubted that anyone in this place would agree with her. I know I certainly didn't. I shook my head as I started to walk away, "No more caffeine for you. If I ever catch you drinking coffee again, I will lock you in the chicken coop with all of these turkeys, including that one. I will have Ben hold the door shut as his own version of revenge so you won't be able to pick the lock and get out."

Nicky mumbled, "Shit. Her threats are worse than anything Daniel ever came up with. Note to self, avoid coffee unless she is taking a day trip somewhere."

I sniffed the air, "If you hurry, you can probably be the first in the supper lineup. They have your favorite potatoes."

My muscles tensed as I heard her run up behind me and crash into my back in a hug. "I must be forgiven for you to tell me that! Thank you."

I growled lowly and shook her off. Nicky grinned at me before running ahead, "I have to grab some before they are all gone! I'll see you later!"

I shook myself lightly to settle both my clothing and my instincts. I had recognized her non-aggressive mood in her approach and it had been enough like Kelly and Travis's playful ambushes that I hadn't struck out at her. Very few humans would manage that without getting snarled at though.

I glanced at the clouds as rain once more started drizzling out of the sky. We wouldn't be eating on the roof tonight and I didn't feel like having company anyway. I zipped up my raincoat and headed for the gate.

The guard on duty was surprised to see me, "Heading out already?"

I snorted, "I was stuck with Nicky while she was on a coffee high for several hours."

He winced as he dropped the radio down, "Point taken."

I shook myself lightly, "Please pass the word around that no one is supposed to ever offer her coffee. The next person to do so will be babysitting her for the day."

"I'll help spread the word."

"Thanks." I headed out the gate at a slow lope to the trees. I headed straight for the perimeter and did a circuit to ensure that no people had crossed it recently. The only scents I found were those of our hunters and others who normally went further out.