Chapter 54

I was still somewhat irritated when I returned to the Stronghold. Nicky was lounging on a bench near the gate. She came over as the guard let me in. "There you are. I was beginning to wonder if I had to grab my trusty bow and start practicing blindfolded in hopes that you would come rescue any poor bystanders. What were you doing out there? Watching where the birds were shitting?"

I rolled my eyes and idly swung my hand at her with nails poised for a slash. She ducked my blow, as I expected her to, before she straightened up and sent a mock punch at my shoulder. I let her hit my shoulder, although I barely felt her teasing blow. She drawled in a sarcastic tone, "Yeah, yeah, I missed you too."

I snorted and shook my head, "Right."

Bizarrely enough, Nicky's sarcastic comments and utter lack of fear somehow defused my temper to something closer to normal. My instincts also saw her as harmless at this point, so her actions didn't really trigger my temper.

Nicky somehow also managed to avoid triggering my instincts in the first place. The amount of tolerance I had for this crazy yet loyal woman was bizarre and I had a hard time wrapping my head around it. Anyone else would have been in big trouble if they tried what she did.

The guard and a few bystanders were watching the exchange with wide shocked eyes. Nicky grinned at me, "Come on, I'll grab us some food. Want anything in particular? Want to eat on the roof? I can meet you up there."

I shrugged, "I wouldn't mind some fruit if there is any. The roof works for me."

Nicky grinned, "I can manage that. I'll meet you on the roof."

I nodded and headed toward the secondary building as Nicky went to brave the supper rush. My sharp ears picked up hushed and astonished muttering from people who had been watching from a window higher up.

"Shit. Did you see that?"

"That redhead didn't even look worried. I would have had a heart attack if a zombie tried to slash me."

"Yeah, me too. I have no plans to annoy her like that crazy lady does though."

"I am amazed that she is still alive. I know that Daniel wouldn't tolerate that sort of thing."

Looks like I had astonished them again. Then again, the building friendship between Nicky and me simply went against common sense and logic. Sticking one grouchy Nightstalker with one crazy human bent on annoying the hell out of everyone around her should have been a surefire recipe for disaster. Yet Nicky still lived. Somehow.

Nicky brought a small bowl with some various types of sliced fruit in it. I munched on the handful of fruit slowly while watching Nicky slowly mangle a slab of cooked meat. "Why are you using a butter knife?"

Nicky made a face, "I tried to take a steak knife, but Ben told me that I wasn't allowed such a dangerous weapon."

Considering she was still packing a dagger and that crazy pirate sword, I failed to see his logic. She looked up at me, "Feel like archery afterwards? I have improved."

"Sure." It wasn't like I had anything else to do.

~

I decided to try the various bows out. Each one fired a bit differently and I took the time to get used to each type. I had no desire to own or carry a bow, so it was strictly for practice or an emergency use. If nothing else, it is making Nicky extremely jealous.

My attempts with various bows were also getting some interest from the usual group lounging on the deck. Three people entered the field with a bouncing Liz in tow. I turned to examine the approaching group. All three seemed quite proud that they had managed to steal Liz away from Marissa.