Chapter 58

Once I figured I had my thoughts in order, I turned my head toward Nina, "Is collecting this blood going to require tormenting my shoulder each time?"

She shook her head, "No, I will use a regular collection needle like the hospitals did. I didn't mean to cause you pain and I truly was only trying to tidy up the wound. I only collected blood three times and I never intentionally caused the bleeding to collect the blood. We were hoping to map out the Nightstalker genome before you left without you being aware of it."

Such pain would have been an instant decline. I could handle a regular collection needle though. I exhaled slowly and reluctantly, "Having me here isn't going to be easy for anyone, including myself. The last few days people got a clearer glimpse of what my behavior is closer to. Nightstalkers really do not do well with large groups." I glanced toward Daniel, "Or with zombies of a similar or higher rank, as I am sure that you noticed. I will be a constant thorn in your side."

Daniel actually looked amused, "Tonight should have shown you that although I may pin you, I won't harm you. I am willing to put up with more such wrestling matches if needed, so if you feel the need to vent and strike out at me, feel free to do so."

That was a bizarre offer and I wasn't overly sure what to think of it, other than the fact that he didn't seem at all concerned that he might lose. He may have meant it as a reassurance, but it was also a blow to my pride that both of us knew I would end up in the dirt each time I tried.

Nina interrupted my thoughts, "If you need anything or if we can do something to make things easier for you, just let us know. We know it is going to be hard for you and we are willing to help."

My immediate thought went to the fence and the guards monitoring my coming and going. Even though I was in a lit up basement room, I could still feel the night calling to me – and it had been far too long since I ran through the night without worry.

I tilted my head, "Would there be any difficulty in me going outside the fence at night? I am tired of being cooped up in my room like a bat in the belfry when the night calls to me."

Nina hesitated slightly, but shook her head, "No, you are free to come and go as you please."

I relaxed a bit and nodded. Nina was obviously worried about me pulling a disappearing act after coming clean, but was trusting me to return. I turned my head toward Daniel, "Are you bothered if I start traveling elsewhere other than that small forest?"

He shook his head, "Feel free to explore. I will have them return the keys for the side by side to Nicky tomorrow." I didn't think he would care if I wandered around, but if he had objections, then that would have been a red flag of another possible secret.

Nina's eyes went to my leg where blood had seeped to the top of the bandage, "I hope you didn't injure yourself too badly."

I shrugged, "I don't think so."

Nina turned to regard Daniel, "She isn't the only one who is bleeding."

Daniel glanced at his forearm where the very shallow scratches were already drying into scabs. He gave me a rueful look, "She was quicker than I expected and almost caught me off guard when I turned to look at Nicky. I am glad that she was unarmed, otherwise I have a feeling that she could have inflicted more damage."

"That reminds me, when do I get my weapons back?"

Daniel made a face and pointed across the room, "Under that cloth. Make sure that you do not use them when you come after me or I will take them away permanently."

I looked over to see a white cloth covering something on one counter. I walked over with one eye on the two. The cloth had two familiar outlines underneath and I lifted the cloth to reveal my belt knife as well as my sickle in its sheath. I was relieved to see them once more. I would really miss that sickle if I ever lost it.