Epilogue

* * * Epilogue * * *

I sniffed the wind before heading toward the east gate. Luke noticed my change of direction and came over to walk beside me, "I assume Kelly and Travis are finally coming?"

I nodded, "That is their scent on the wind."

We had been expecting them for the last couple of days. They were a bit late, but I could finally pick up their scent so they wouldn't take long to arrive now.

I heard familiar footsteps come running up behind me. I glanced back as I growled at Liz. She ignored my mild growl as per usual as she launched herself onto my back. She was big enough to manage it now. I growled at her once more and she growled right back in a playful manner.

Her growls were much better after practicing for well over a year. She could hit the exact tone and note that she wanted. She also knew what they meant. It was hard to tell hers apart from an actual zombie's growl at this point.

I snorted faintly in mild amusement, "Why don't you go bother Nicky? She loves any excuse to get out of work."

Liz wrapped her arms more tightly around my shoulders in an attempt to not fall off as I resumed walking, "She is currently hiding from Daniel at the moment."

I sighed heavily, "What did she do this time?"

"Ummm... She somehow managed to sneak soap into his food and used a herb to cover the scent."

Luke shuddered lightly as he recalled his own encounter with soap so long ago. I turned my head as I eyed her up suspiciously, "Why do I suspect that she had help in this one?"

Liz ducked her head sheepishly, "Can I blame Logan?"

Liz knew that lying was futile and only got her into trouble. She probably found out about the herb from Logan or Nina, and judging from her comment, I was going with Logan.

I narrowed my eyes, "I think I am going to have to report your behavior to your mother at this rate."

Liz started giggling so hard that she almost fell off my back, "You know that she would never discipline me in a way that would satisfy you."

Liz had been adopted by a couple that happened to spend the evening practicing archery. For some reason, they were unable to have children and were very lenient with Liz. But the rest of the Stronghold also had a say in discipline if she overstepped a boundary...

I bared my teeth in a silent threat, "But I bet that Logan would not be impressed with you abusing such knowledge. He would tell Daniel who the real culprit behind all of this was."

"Uh oh." She had a right to worry. Logan would make sure that Daniel would know the scent of that plant for the future so that they couldn't do such a thing again. He also did not like people using his knowledge to harm or bother others and he would likely give her some rather unpleasant chores as punishment.

Daniel would also likely find some sort of fitting punishment since she had helped Nicky with such a prank. Luke opened up the gate for me and my passenger. The sentries on top saw nothing odd about Liz dangling from my shoulders. I wasn't helping her stay on and if she fell off, then that was her problem.

Liz peeked over my shoulder, "Where are we going?"

"To greet Kelly and Travis."

She had been waiting for their arrival eagerly the last few days, "I can't wait to see them again! They haven't stopped by since last month. Did you tell Nina or Logan?"

I smirked, "Not yet. Why don't you go let them know that we have company?"

She was still as suggestible as ever, "Okay!"