Chapter 39

I watched as Ironwind Stronghold slowly came into view. For two weeks I had been impatient to get here so I could complete my promise and make myself scarce. Now I kind of wished that our road trip would have taken another two weeks just so I wouldn't have to go inside of that place.

The high chain link fence was at least four times my height as it surrounded the complex of buildings. It looked like they used telephone posts when they built the fence. Despite my protests, I was going to be going inside that place with this group.

I had been trying all morning to get out of it, but not a single person would take my side. They all agreed with Nina that I should recover before heading out on my own. Tom and Marissa had been silent, but after glancing at Daniel they didn't object to Nina's claims either.

I eyed up the tree line at the side of the road. Nina noticed my preoccupation and shook her head, "I don't care if you are a zombie, no one recovers from being shot five times in just four days. Honest, spending a couple of weeks here isn't going to kill you. You might even like it and decide to stay."

I had my doubts about that one. Several hundred humans and two zombies all crammed inside one fence? That is just asking for trouble. Hank slowed down as we approached the gate.

Several guards had noticed our approach and were waiting for us. I saw several guns and other weapons present. The men looked surprised and grinned when they spotted Daniel and Nina. "You made it back. We were starting to wonder if you got lost. Who are your friends?"

Nina smiled, "We had more than our fair share of vehicle problems. We came across some people on our way back."

He chuckled and waved the truck in, "Welcome to Ironwind Stronghold. Go on in, take your second left and then the first right."

Hank drove the truck slowly ahead as I watched the gate closing behind us. I didn't like how they clanged closed so ominously. Both Daniel and Nina were watching me. I didn't bother to remove my slightly irritable expression as I watched dozens of people going about various tasks.

Hank pulled up in front of the building that Nina directed him to. A big man who resembled a drill sergeant came out, "Hello Nina, so who did you bring us this time?"

Nina began introducing everyone, leaving me for last, "This is Trinity, she is just staying until she has healed. She is a Nightstalker, so don't be surprised if you see her going outside of the fence on a regular basis."

The man looked at me in surprise, but he wasn't scared. He shrugged, "As long as she doesn't come after me I ain't going to complain. I will get the others to help unpack and then show them the ropes. I assume you will give her the tour?"

Nina nodded, "Yes, she will be staying in the secondary building since it is smaller and has fewer people in it."

He didn't seem surprised as he nodded and turned to the rest of the group who were climbing off the truck. Nina waved me forward, "Come on Trinity, I will give you a slightly different tour. The secondary has private showers and a different setup, so most of the stuff he is going to show them won't interest you."

I carefully jumped off the opened truck tailgate. My leg twinged when I landed, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it had been the other day. The special attention I had been giving my leg meant that although it ached and hurt, it no longer felt like someone was twisting a nail in the wound.

Nina walked beside me as Daniel walked on her other side. She pointed to one building, "That is the secondary building. It has its own bathrooms and showers, courtesy of a cistern on top that we fill with a hand pump. You won't have to use the large communal facilities that most have to use."