Chapter 119

"Okay. Who the hell put a dead squirrel in the garbage can?! I mean, it is one thing for us to toss food wrappers in there, but you guys are usually better about burying your unwanted leftovers."

Good morning to you too Nicky... She was still in her pjs and glaring at the offending object in the garbage can. Nina yawned as she grabbed her bag of toiletries, "Just a squirrel? Be thankful it isn't a rabbit, a beaver, or a bear."

Nicky transferred her early morning glare to Nina, "If one of them managed to stuff an entire bear into that little knee high can, then we have other issues. But it is definitely a squirrel."

I glanced at Daniel as I subtly tattled on him, "I still say you should have stuck it in the bed with her to see what she would say."

Nicky grumbled incoherently under her breath as she went to take advantage of the bathroom first. Nina glanced at Daniel in surprise, as if it hadn't occurred to her that he was the guilty culprit. She did a hilarious double take at his unbandaged arm. The scab had set once he removed the salve and it was obviously healing faster now since most of the redness around it had faded.

She looked at him in shock, "You figured it out?"

He grinned, "Yes." He was proud of that detail since it had taken him almost a month to finally figure it out. The fact that it had taken him that long was a disgrace to zombies, but he simply didn't realize it yet. I resisted the urge to shake my head at his ignorance.

Nina practically managed a magician's magic trick as her bag containing her hairbrush, toothbrush and other supplies suddenly appeared on the bed at the same time her notebook appeared in her hands. "How is it done?" Her sleepiness had been replaced with eagerness and curiosity. I had never seen someone wake up so fast in my life.

"I had to actually drip blood into the wound. Now we know why she kept removing the salve. It formed a waterproof barrier."

Nina kept asking questions and Daniel answered while I simply shook my head at the two of them. They were going over what should have been long-discovered knowledge like it was the latest and greatest discovery. To my amusement, he hadn't realized that zombie saliva would also assist. Yep. He still has some learning to do.

Nicky came out of the bathroom and went to the front door before opening it. She stretched in the early morning sunlight, "It feels like a beautiful day is about to start. I think I will slip some coffee and stir things up a little."

I growled in opposition of that idea as Daniel also chimed in with a growl with that thought. Nina shook her head rapidly, "No, we are peaceful travelers going from place to place to help prevent the third wave. We are not attempting world domination."

Nicky glanced over her shoulder and grinned at Nina, "You know, if you think about it, between the four of us, we actually do have the best chance of taking over the world. The only problem is that I am kind of handicapped without caffeine."

I looked over at Daniel, "Well, now is your chance to give her an espresso like you had been thinking."

Nina's head whipped toward Daniel with an incredulous expression, "You thought what?!"

I hadn't been aware that Nina's voice could go so high. I am going to get him in deep shit at this rate... Excellent. I managed to keep my slightly annoyed poker face in place despite feeling something that might have been akin to mirth, although such a feeling could certainly not belong to me.

Daniel sharply growled a reprimand at me and I smirked in response. He shook his head with a faint growl before clarifying for Nina, "I had asked Trinity if she would also share the secret about the soap and tomato juice. She had said that Nicky would show me if I let Nicky color my jacket and then wore everything she colored before giving her three espressos."