Chapter 17

Daniel broke the silence, "I had gotten the vaccine almost a month late due to a delayed delivery to our area. No one in our area had the vaccine early, so the original outbreak missed our location until those in it started turning. I had heard all of those reports before I started sneezing. I remember how hard it was when I turned. I can't imagine going through it without knowing what to expect. Did you ever attack or kill anyone?"

I considered the matter, "If you don't count that clown from last night, then no. Even if they tried to kill me, I simply tried to escape. I may have broken the arm of one guy who attempted to kill me, but I wasn't actually trying to inflict damage. You?"

His gaze watched me steadily, "I only harmed someone once without provocation and that was during the first days when I wasn't accustomed to my new temper. I have seriously injured or killed dozens who first attacked those I was traveling with or myself. I did give them a warning, but they chose to ignore it." That last sentence had been meant as a warning for me.

I nodded, not overly surprised. I had already guessed that he lived with humans and that almost guaranteed conflict at some point. Out in the forest I only had Runners and deer to argue with, other than occasionally dodging looting humans in town.

Nina spoke again, "Just how short is your temper? I thought that it would have been worse than what I have seen from you."

It didn't surprise me that she wanted to know just how unpredictable I was. She had been uncertain about what her bounds were last night when I was guiding her back.

I shrugged, "Depends on what is trying to trigger it. It is actually pretty short. I have been trying very hard this week to keep it under wraps, but it isn't something I can hide over a longer period of time. The presence of a Terror has my instincts off balance enough that they are more on the defensive and it makes keeping a rein on my temper a bit easier."

Nina jotted down notes in her notepad, "That is very interesting. How do you react to the presence of Runners or regular zombies? How did you manage with those other Nightstalkers?"

I wished that we would arrive at the Stronghold so I could gracefully escape these questions. This lady was persistent enough that saying that I didn't feel like talking probably wouldn't stop her. A sarcastic comment or growl at her would likely land me in hot water with her bodyguard.

"I didn't have any trouble with the sane Nightstalkers. I did encounter two ferals, the one left once she realized that I was also a Nightstalker. The other one was a rather nasty piece of work, even for a Nightstalker. I was carrying enough human objects that he wouldn't stop trying to attack me. I ended up killing him."

I exhaled gustily and rolled my shoulders as my annoyance built. I was tired of talking and didn't really appreciate spilling out my life story to a stranger who was taking notes. I didn't care if she might have been a counselor previously, it seemed rude and annoyed me. Why couldn't she have been the type to sketch the scenery or something?

"Regular zombies rarely bother me if I don't pretend to be human. A growl sets them straight if they get close. Runners always investigate me. About half are deterred with a growl or snarl, but the majority of them are confused by my sunglasses and I usually end up taking a swipe at them before they believe me. Met a couple of sane Runners. One visited for a couple of weeks, he was a bit uneasy around me, but we got along well enough while he was in the area."

She tilted her head, "You tend to have the same ways of showing irritation with body language as Daniel does. That is quite fascinating."

I had different words for her observation, but didn't say them aloud lest Daniel toss me off the truck. Her note taking and intent observations had me on edge. Curiosity was one thing, but she was getting on my nerves with her endless questions even though we had only been talking for about fifteen minutes. The sooner I parted ways with this group, the happier I would be.

Thankfully she fell silent as she examined several pages of notes and wrote more down. I watched as the scenery and occasional zombie passed by. We slowed as Hank turned at the specified corner. Nicky yawned in boredom, "Just how far away is the Stronghold?"

Nina replied without even looking up from her notes, "About three days away."

I turned my head toward Nina, I knew that there had to be closer ones. Most people refused to sleep overnight on the road. My suspicion once more rose. We may not be driving much faster than was allowed in a school zone, but we were still driving and not walking.

Ben looked confused, "I thought the Strongholds were closer together?"

She shrugged, "There could be, that is just the one we know about and it is home for us."

I slowly took a deep breath to refrain from growling in irritation as I took a closer look at the road behind us. A large number of tracks had been going straight at that junction we just turned on. Chances were that there was a closer Stronghold in that direction. We didn't have enough gas to go half a day, let alone three days. Most vehicles we passed had the gas cap let open, showing that someone else had checked for gas and come up empty.

If we tried to walk all the way there, we could be walking for a month. I wouldn't be able to handle a month with an overly watchful Terror dogging every step I took. I would go mad if it didn't come to blows first.

Silence fell once more. The clouds parted and the sun decided to make its appearance. Of course my usual rotten streak of luck dictated that it had to shine right on my face. I pulled my hood over my face to shade my sunglasses. I turned my head to the side so I didn't have to face the direction of the bright light. I watched the scenery flow by.

The truck horn honked and I lifted my head. Nicky peered through the cab windows to the road ahead, "It is coming up on your side Trinity."

I wondered idly if there was any possible way of convincing someone to trade their luck for mine. They would undoubtedly be getting the rotten end of that deal. It would make my life much easier though.

I shifted to my knees as the Runner banged on the passenger door as it tried to get to the humans it could see. I leaned over the side of the truck and snarled nastily at him. His eyes had been locked on those inside the cab and he hadn't expected me. He snarled back at me as he backed up a few steps, by then we had driven past him. He would be unable to catch up unless we ran out of gas shortly.

A rumbling growl shifted my attention behind me. I turned my head swiftly and eyed Daniel up warily, his muscles were tensed as his eyes were locked onto me. His eyes were red once more, showing that he was too riled up to camouflage his eyes. I didn't look directly at him, lest he take it as a challenge.

I spoke quietly with no hint of my usual sarcasm or insult, "Calm down. I snarled at the Runner, not at you or the humans."

Nina joined my cause as she carefully put her hand on his arm, "Easy Daniel, she chased the Runner off to keep us safe."

He exhaled gustily as he slowly relaxed. His eyes were fixated on me, my snarl had triggered his instincts even though it hadn't been directed at him. It looked as if Terrors took challenges to their rank and power about as gracefully as Nightstalkers did. I knew it wasn't really his fault, it was our zombie instincts, and as a Terror, his were likely more touchy than mine.

I didn't recall this sort of tension between me and any other sane zombies I had met after the initial greeting had been made. We had been able to relax around one another for the most part, but that didn't seem to be happening with the two of us.

I wasn't sure why, and it only added to my own unease. This situation is as badly balanced as a blind butler handling six glasses of red wine on a white carpet with barefooted dancers twirling around him. It is trouble just waiting for a time and a place to happen.

Daniel managed to regain his composure after a few minutes. I relaxed a bit as well. I had been ready to jump off of the truck if he came at me. If he chased me off, I was leaving willingly—and I wouldn't be coming back.

I turned my gaze once more to the passing scenery, willing time to move faster, or at the very least, for us to stumble across a second working vehicle.

Neither of my wishes were granted. Several hours later my bad luck reared its head again as the truck started sputtering as the gas ran dry. It wasn't long before it became just another roadside ornament.