Chapter 68

I had never felt apprehensive about nightfall before, but there really is a first time for everything. I was tired of sitting and bored. The others were keeping an eye on me, which was also somewhat annoying since I didn't like being stared at.

My instincts still felt unsettled, but I knew it was from the drug in my system. I could tell when the sun began to set. Daniel's body language told that his own instincts were waning with the sun that they belonged to. My own Nightstalker instincts were starting to strengthen already.

I shook my head as my vision went hazy. It didn't help, but just sitting and doing nothing was worse than trying. Nicky had remained, although she had promised to behave.

I knew the exact moment when the sun completely left the horizon. I was normally aware of it, but I was much more aware of it this time. My instincts continued to strengthen as night fell. I rolled my shoulders as I resisted the urge to pace.

I was unusually restless, my instincts should not be quite this strong considering that the sky outside would not have been completely dark yet. It could be due to my own emotions, and some of it likely was, but I somehow doubted that I could attribute all of it to that.

Daniel spoke quietly, "Are you having any more problems than normal with your control?"

I carefully examined my inner emotions. "No, my control is normal. I am feeling more restless, but that is about it."

My control was at its usual level. The smell of the two humans burned my throat and made me desire to taste their sweet blood. I overruled it as I normally did. Overruling it had gotten easier the longer I was around humans, much like a recovering alcoholic being able to resist taking a glass of wine at a wine tasting event.

I may have been in a basement room with no windows, but I knew that the last traces of light were leaving the sky above. My instincts were still rising, sharpening my reflexes as the day turned into my element. I was more aware of Daniel as he sat in the corner, since he was the only one here stronger than me and that was something my instincts kept tabs on.

I was getting frustrated as my restlessness built. I wanted to be outside under the open night sky and run through the forest like a silent shadow. Instead, I was stuck in a stuffy smelly basement room under the supervision of two humans and a Terror.

I exhaled gustily as I crossed my legs, trying to bring up the endless patience part of my instincts to hide my restive fidgeting. My instincts saw no need for the patience that was normally part of an ambush and my attempt was in vain.

Nina was writing in her notebook, "How are you feeling?"

I glanced over at her, "Very restless. The headache hasn't abated any. My instincts seem stronger than usual; they don't appreciate being in a lit up basement when night has fallen."

She nodded, "Let us know if anything changes."

The next hour was almost painful as the restlessness grew more pronounced. I shook my head as my patience was waning, "I can't just sit here anymore."

I remained where I was though. Nicky had fallen asleep in a chair in the corner. Nina looked tired, but was still awake. She raised her eyebrow, "Is that wise with the way your vision is fading in and out? What are the odds of you losing control?"

I shrugged, "If I trip over something because I am too slow to stop, then I trip over something. I doubt I will attack anyone. If I have any control problems, it will be out of frustration because I want to be outside."

Nina looked over at Daniel, "Can you go out with her? Keep track of her symptoms."

Daniel nodded and stood up as he dug his flashlight out, "Get some sleep. I will keep my radio on me and will contact you if something happens."