Chapter 117

Nicky sat up and examined the Stronghold we were approaching, "Oh, I know this place. I stayed here for a few weeks."

Nina twisted in her seat to look back at us. I examined the perky looking redhead, "Did you leave on good terms?"

Nicky tilted her head, "How do you define good?"

That was not what I wanted to hear... I narrowed my eyes as I focused on Nicky, "Are they going to attempt to throw you right back outside of the gate?"

Nicky shook her head, "I don't think so, I wasn't here long enough to annoy people that much. They may want assurance that you don't plan to leave me here, but I doubt they will mind me visiting."

I sighed heavily, "What is this? Something strange has to keep happening every time we turn around? We have been traveling for five days already. Something has to give."

Nicky grinned at me, "I believe that something is your peace of mind."

I growled at her and gently kicked her ankle.

"No need to get violent! I am just stating the facts! Besides, road trips are always guaranteed to be filled with fun and action if you are along."

I could clock her upside the head right about now... "That is not a detail that I am particularly enjoying."

"You may not be enjoying it, but I sure am!"

That's it... I growled lowly at her overly enthusiastic mood and snagged her ankle before dragging her across the mattress toward me.

Nicky yelped in surprised, "Hey! What do you think you are- eek!"

Her protests broke into giggles as I started tickling her. I had to use extreme care with my fingernails that could so easily rip through clothing or skin.

"Mercy! Merc- eek!"

I chuckled with a feral grin as I used my leg to roll her away from me. Nicky scrambled against the truck cab breathlessly as she sat up. She was breathing hard, but grinning.

Nina was looking over her shoulder at us with a surprised expression. Nicky turned to look at her, "It is really unsafe back here, can I climb through the window to join you up front?"

Daniel and Nina both responded at the same time, "No."

Nina shook her head and elaborated, "Besides, we will be at the Stronghold within two minutes. Just sit still and behave so Trinity quits tormenting you."

I blinked slowly and commented, "For someone who hangs around zombies, you really don't understand the true meaning of torture."

Nina turned to look at me, "You mean leaving prey half dead with entrails hanging out while the zombie chews on the neck or chest?"

"That sounds about right for a feral."

She shrugged, "I did watch a few feral Runners hunt from downwind where they couldn't scent me. Only did it a few times since Daniel didn't like me that close to a hunting zombie. I hope you have never been so cruel in your hunts."

"No, I prefer a quick clean kill. I don't like to see them suffer. Besides, I may be fast, but if I only injure a deer or rabbit, they can outrun me. It isn't fair to the animal and zombie instincts detest losing a kill, which adds extra incentive."

Nina didn't reply since Daniel slowed down as he approached the gate. I saw a few people holding binoculars in the sentry posts and I was pretty sure that they had seen Nicky and me horsing around in the back of the truck. I somehow doubted that they would think we were bandits. I don't recall ever hearing of bandits having a tickle war...