Chapter 20

We were able to head straight back to the humans, and since I wasn't slowed with evasion tactics, our return was going faster. It took us only 20 minutes to return. We slowed as we entered the clearing. The humans were all waiting, fidgeting nervously as they glanced between the dead Terror and the surrounding forest.

Nicky stood up as soon as she spotted us, "About bloody time. We were beginning to wonder if we had to call search and rescue. Nina said you were the fastest around. Unless my watch is messing with me again, you were gone over an hour. That is not fast in my books when you are trying to catch up to someone who just left."

Daniel gave me an 'I told you so' look, "Are you sure we can't leave her behind?"

I shook my head with a faint chuckle, "Nah. She tends to keep Ben in line and without her he would be a royal pain in the ass."

Nicky looked me over once as she walked up to me, "Huh. He didn't even have to tie you and drag you back. The next time you decide to go on a long vacation I will be the one coming after you to haul you back."

My instincts didn't handle people bossing me around well, and they certainly didn't take threats well. Especially from someone who wasn't a match for me on a day when I was out of patience. With a light growl, I swiftly ducked down and threw her over my shoulder. Daniel watched me with sharp eyes, ready to intervene if I had problems with my control. Nicky kicked her legs and pounded her fists on my back, "Put me down you big moose!"

It only took me five fast steps to reach the spot where Hank was sitting. I unceremoniously dumped her in his lap, "You get to look after her for a bit."

Hank winced as he caught the spitfire I dropped in his lap. She looked up at him with a grin, "Hey big boy, guess you are stuck with me now, huh?"

His expression clearly said that he wished to be anywhere else but here. I shook my head as I turned to look over at the sound of small footsteps running toward me. Liz's small body slammed into my legs and grabbed onto my pant legs, "You came back! Daniel said he would bring you back!"

I sighed and sent a half glare at him, "Yes, Daniel managed to talk me into coming back."

Nicky jumped off of Hank's lap, "All right! Let's get this show on the road because I am not camping beside that dead guy tonight!"

It looked like they had just been waiting for us since they immediately started walking. Liz lifted her arms and I put her on my shoulders with a resigned sigh. Daniel once more took the lead while I brought up the rear. Nina walked beside Daniel and spoke quietly. It was too quiet for the others, but I could hear her well enough. "You were gone for quite a long time."

Daniel sent a slightly accusing glance over his shoulder at me before responding to Nina, "I was trying to track her scent and she sent me on a wild goose chase."

They both undoubtedly knew I could hear their conversation, but neither seemed to care. Nina was curious, "How so?"

Daniel exhaled slowly in irritation at the memory, "I followed the scent of her blood down the river only to realize much later that she had smeared her blood on a piece of driftwood and sent it downstream while she took off in a different direction. She broke her trail in a few other spots and I had to circle to pick it up again."

I grinned, the driftwood one worked very well unless someone was expecting it. Even then they would have to check in case I had actually run alongside the creek. Daniel had likely never tried to track a sane zombie who was attempting to cover their scent trail. I could only imagine how frustrating the unexpected experience would have been for him.

Nina once more pulled out her notepad and started scribbling in it. Daniel seemed accustomed to her ceaseless note-taking and curiosity.

"And when you caught up to her?"