Chapter 77

Nicky tagged along on the other side of Nina as we headed for breakfast. A few in the room who hadn't heard the news gave me an odd look as I remained beside Nina like an impromptu bodyguard while Daniel was absent. We took our usual table in the far corner and I watched the people entering and leaving the hall more than I paid attention to the two women who were eating.

Nicky didn't even bother offering me a piece of fruit. None of the food here appealed to me. As much as I hated to admit it, that drug had made my life a bit easier with the absence of the bloodlust. The restlessness at night was a pain in the butt if I didn't remain inconspicuous though.

I didn't see any of the people that I had guided through the forest, which I found kind of strange. My instincts shifted in agreement. The odds of them not showing up for food after going hungry for several days was slim to none. They may have already came, ate, and left, but I doubted it. The locals who saw the commotion may be keeping them away from Nina though.

Nina finished and glanced at the clock on the wall, "Daniel will probably check the lab first since I am usually in there."

Nicky yawned, "I can also go leave word with the gate guards and they can tell him when he returns."

Nina nodded slowly, "That is a good plan. Thank you."

Nicky left to go relay the information and I followed Nina out of the room. Word of what had occurred was spreading like wildfire and most people probably knew by now. I relaxed a bit as we headed down the stairs. No one would be staring at us down here. There was only one entrance so I would know the instant someone showed up and I only had one direction to guard.

Nina went into a room with hundreds of small test tubes of colored liquids. She shrugged in apology, "Sorry, but it is going to be boring."

I snagged a stool to sit beside the doorway, "At this moment, I will take boring. It makes my life easier."

Nina hadn't been joking. She took small glass slides, put a drop of Runner blood on it, and another drop from one of the many vials. Some of those vials had a rather strong and unpleasant odor. Copious notes were taken as she watched the results through a microscope and even more notes were taken as she put it through a couple of different machines.

A door opened and I leaned my head out the door. "It is just Nicky."

"I don't want her in this room."

With a sigh I stood up and went to intercept the redhead on the stairs. The moment I saw what Nina was doing, I had expected that she wouldn't want Nicky around so many glass vials that were arranged in meticulous order. Nor would she want the rather distracting Nicky interfering with her concentration.

I sent Nicky to a different room that resembled an examination room. There wasn't anything that she could really get into in that room and I had given her something to keep her occupied. I had considered sending her out of the lab entirely, but decided against it.

She would likely cause problems if left alone and if someone unwelcome did manage to locate the lab, then Nicky could possibly be of assistance. She actually did know how to use that sword of hers passably well, and if nothing else, she was quite distracting and loud if she put her mind to it.

Time passed slowly. I pulled out a book in an attempt to keep boredom at bay.

An hour later Nicky grew bored and dragged a chair over to sit beside me while we played tic tac toe on some scrap paper. If nothing else, Daniel wasn't rushing. I was curious to see how much damage he did to the forest, but that would have to wait until later.

Only a handful of games later I looked toward the lab door at the sound of Daniel's footsteps. "He's back."

Nina was relieved and got up from her seat. She leaned out of the doorway as Daniel descended the stairs, "How are you faring?"