𝟏𝟏 | 𝐈𝐧𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐞

When we arrived, I saw the busy streets of Hollywood in front of me ... and below me. As I looked around, I noticed we were on the roof of the Orpheum.

"Hey, I know being dead isn't our first choice," Luke began. "But, I mean, it sure is easy getting around."

"Easy for you, maybe," Reggie pointed out. "I lost my shirt on that one."

Just as he said it, his shirt reappeared.

"Oh, never mind!" He exclaimed. "There it is!"

We all laughed as we watched people go about their lives below us.

"Okay, so," Alex turned to Luke. "Why did you bring us here? Just another painful reminder of where we never got to play."

"Oh!" I raised a finger. "It's also where we died!"

"Thanks, Luke," Alex said sarcastically.

"I mean, boys, - and girl - the game isn't over yet!" Luke replied enthusiastically.

Luke brought us down to the streets before he elaborated.

"I'm telling you, we've been given a second chance! Let's find some music. Let's see how many clubs we can hit before sunrise!"

"I like the sound of that!" I beamed.

"Hey, Alex!" Luke called as he turned around. "You coming?"

Alex caught up to us, but he seemed a little off.

"You good?" I asked, nudging him in the side gently as Luke and Reggie raced ahead.

"Yeah, I just ... " Alex briefly glanced back. "Yeah. I'm good."

"You sure?"

Alex nodded. I noticed a mysterious figure wearing a top hat in the direction he was looking. It was probably nothing.

"Then let's go!" I exclaimed, grabbing him by the arm.

———

We returned to the studio by sunrise after having a blast of a night. Imagine being able to go to any club you wanted without having to show an ID or having to pay an entrance fee. It was great! We heard so many local bands play. Just as I was about to share my excitement with the guys, I realised someone else was in the studio.

We all stared in amazement as Julie sang and played the piano right in front of us.

Needless to say, she was incredible. I mean, going by her mother, I should've known that already, but seeing her shine before my eyes was special. I wonder why she lied to us about playing?

As the song came to an end, Julie picked up the sheet music and held it close to her heart. Luke had to stop Alex from interrupting the moment and gestured for us to get out of there. We headed outside.

"Dude," Alex said. "Why'd you stop me? Julie needs a hug."

"Bro," Luke began. "A ghost hug isn't the feel good moment that you think it is. Alright? Trust me. What Julie needs now is a bit of privacy."

"You know what?" Alex countered. "I think you poofed us out because you can't handle when people cry."

Luke and I exchanged a brief glance.

"I should know," Alex continued. "I cried in a room for twenty-five years and I didn't get a single hug from either of you! Ruth knew me for a day and gave me a hug, but you guys are my bandmates!"

"Alright, bring it in," Reggie opened his arms.

"Don't touch me!" Alex exclaimed.

Reggie stepped back, startled. "This is why no one hugs you."

As the guys settled their debacle, I went back into the studio. I appeared on the other side of the piano, causing Julie to jump.

"Hey," I said with a small smile.

"Hi," Julie said shortly. "You scared me."

"Sorry about that," I shrugged.

"What do you want?"

"You're incredible, you know that right?" I said as I leaned over the piano.

"You heard that?" Julie asked as she gathered the sheet music in front of her.

"I'm glad I did," I replied, taking in a deep breath. "You reminded me so much of your mother."

Julie looked up. "What?"

I stood up straight and crossed my arms. "Yeah, sorry. I -um - I didn't say anything before but, uh, your mom and I were best friends. Like, you know, before I died."

"Why didn't you say anything before?" Julie asked, shocked.

"The same reason you lied about playing," I responded.

"It hurts."

"It does."

Before either of us could say anything else, a girl around our age walked into the studio. I took that as my cue to leave, seeing as she appeared to be crying.

When I headed back outside, I noticed the guys were peering into the small windows in the garage door. Since they appeared to be eavesdropping, I decided to teach them some manners.

"Boo!"

"Ah, ghost!" Reggie exclaimed before turning around. "Oh, it's just you, Ruth."

"I mean," Alex shrugged. "Ruth is a ghost."

"Touchy subject," I sighed.

Luke looked in the window, only to turn around again. "Quick! Julie's coming! Act natural."

"We were acting - oh, okay then."

The guys leaned up against the garage door, as innocent as puppies. You know, if the puppies were after tearing up your favourite pair of shoes and hiding them under the sofa.

"Oh, hey!" Julie beamed as she closed the garage door behind her.

At the sight of her friend's confused look, she smoothly recovered and ushered her off to school. Just as she was walking up the steps, she waved goodbye.

"Don't worry," Reggie said. "We weren't listening!"

Luke gave Reggie a small kick before heading inside.