𝟐𝟖 | 𝐑𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬

Julie was late for school. I knew that because we were up all night complaining about the guys. Well, Julie complained about the guys as a collective. I mostly complained about Luke. It was annoying that he had even weaselled his way into my conversations.

When Julie fell asleep, I didn't leave. It was like the saddest slumber party ever. I was just lying there because I didn't want to go back to the garage. I didn't want to face Luke, and after what Julie had told me, he wasn't going anywhere near her room. Not that he would've been looking for me, but still.

I stayed in Julie's room for a while after she left for school. I was looking through the pictures of Rose she had lying around. The more I looked at them, the more I realised how disappointed she would be. Rose had a heart of gold and I had a heart of cold. I had to apologise to Luke. That was something Rose would have wanted me to do.

When I went to the garage, however, no one was there. Part of me was glad Luke wasn't there because once I left my Rose bubble, I realised I was not Rose and I was very much still mad at him - at everyone, myself included. When I made my way over to the couch, I saw a piece of paper on the table.

Making things up to Julie. Hope you're okay.

Alex.

It was sweet that Alex left a note, but part of me was sad that it wasn't Luke's name written at the bottom of that page. That was when I saw his journal. Left right there, in the open.

After unintentionally spilling my guts out to him before, it was only fair if I took a little peek. Sure, I had my moral objections before, but ... I changed my mind. It was basically calling my name.

I sat down on the couch and flicked through the pages. Obviously, I was impressed by his writing skills, but there wasn't anything too juicy. Most of the songs were about him and the band. You know, everything they'd been through and what they had planned for the future. That all changed when I reached the end of the journal. A page was sticking out from the back.

Ruthless.

"I shouldn't," I thought. "That would be going too far."

It was tempting, though. After all, that was the page Alex had brought to me before. The one that 'proved' that Luke liked me back. I was conflicted. Sure, I was mad at Luke - or myself - or everyone - I had lost track - but that didn't mean I should read a song I knew had something to do with me. Then again, I had confessed my feelings to him - even if it was accidental.

Who's to say I didn't accidentally come across this song?

———

Ruthless

In and out, the gig was done

We had our chats, we had our fun

Turned around and saw you there

Your amber eyes, your raven hair

My friends thought I was crazy,

That the battle was lost and won

But I knew right then and there,

That I'd make you my one

Ruthless, you've taken over my mind

Ruthless, while I'm out seeking, you hide

Ruthless, all I want is to see you smile

Ruthless, don't know what I would do if I was left

Ruth-less

You've overtaken my darkest of days

You make it look easy, like the flick of a page

Don't know if you know how you're making me feel

But I know that you know that what we have is real

I thought that I'd gone crazy

Staying up late to see if you were near

It's only now that I've realised

That losing you is my biggest fear

Ruthless, you've taken over my mind

Ruthless, while I'm out seeking, you hide

Ruthless, all I want is to see you smile

Ruthless, don't know what I would do if I was left

Ruth-less

Those nights up on the roof

Have made things perfectly clear

That if I hadn't had you by my side

I would no longer be here

Ruthless, you've taken over my mind

Ruthless, while I'm out seeking, you hide

Ruthless, all I want is to see you smile

Ruthless, don't know what I would do if I was left

Ruth-less

No, no, no, no, no

Don't wanna be Ruth-less

Don't know what I would do if I was left

Ruth-less

———

Okay, I'll be the first to admit I probably shouldn't have read it ... Mostly because Luke had a tendency to appear behind me without me realising it.

"What are you doing?"

Right on cue.