𝟐𝟑 | 𝐖𝐢𝐩𝐞𝐝

Since Luke had opened up to me and brought me to his childhood home, I thought it was only fair that I brought him to mine.

"It's ... a treehouse?"

"Correct," I responded. "Oh, you might wanna poof inside, the ladder is a little wobbly."

With that, we reappeared inside the abandoned structure. Everything was just as I left it ; mouldy, rotting and oddly charming. Even my notebook was still tucked away in its designated place in the corner. Luke looked around briefly before turning to face me with a raised eyebrow. I felt like an explanation would answer his questions.

"I didn't like being at home much," I admitted. "I used to go for long walks everyday after school. At some point, those walks got longer and I found this place. I decided to make it my home."

"You went into the woods all by yourself?" Luke questioned. "How far away is your house?"

"Not too far," I lied. "Let me give you a tour."

Luke laughed at the sentiment. My treehouse could barely fit the two of us in it.

"Over here," I gestured. "We have an empty corner. And over here, we have a corner with a table and chairs."

"Wow," Luke gasped. "Two whole chairs."

"Would you like to sit down?"

Luke sat down as if he was sitting on a throne.

"Yeah, that's kinda all we can do here," I pursed my lips.

"Have you been back to your house yet?" Luke asked.

I shook my head. "Touchy subject."

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

"No," I joked. "We're not on the roof. Deep convos are strictly off limits."

Luke smiled a sad smile. "Ruth, you know you can talk to me wherever and whenever, right?"

"I know," I returned the sad smile. "I ... I don't know if I'll be able to handle it."

"Going back?" Luke asked.

"Yeah, I just don't know what I'll be going back to."

"Well, there's only one way to find out, right?" Luke said with that mischievous grin of his.

"Right," I admitted reluctantly.

"Come on," Luke stood up. "Let's go."

"Luke, I don't know ... "

"If I've learnt anything from spending time with you," Luke began. "It's that you need answers. Not knowing will kill you."

"Good thing I'm already dead then," I joked.

"You know what I'm talking about," Luke gave me a knowing look.

"I don't think I can, Luke," I sighed. "You don't understand."

"Then help me understand," Luke knelt before me.

I looked up at the ceiling. "My mom was an addict."

Silence washed over us, but only for a moment as Luke had grabbed my hand, encouraging me to go on.

"If I go back right now," I shed a tear. "I don't know if she'll still be there."

Luke embraced me as I began to sob.

Things were pretty bad when I left for good. Mom had a new boyfriend over every week and each one shared her ... hobbies. When she wasn't on something, she was miserable and unapproachable and when she was on something, she was manic and unpredictable. It all became too much for me to handle.