𝟏𝟑 | 𝐒𝐚𝐟𝐞

I followed after the guys and we ended up on a sandy beach. As I turned around to take in the view of the lustrous sea, I noticed a group of friends playing volleyball on the beach. I never had an interest in volleyball, or any sport really, but I would do anything to have the ability to try again.

"A bike shack," Reggie stated from behind me. "Right where my house used to be. Right here."

"Yeah, I'm sorry, man," Luke patted Reggie on the chest.

I turned around to see what they were talking about.

"They made the Meyersons' house into a noodle shop," Reggie claimed.

"Yeah, the Meyersons' definitely won there," I added.

"Why couldn't they have made mine a pizzeria or something?"

"They tore down the whole neighbourhood," Alex observed.

"I guess my folks are gone," Reggie stated grimly.

"No. Everyone's gone," Alex said. "Twenty-five years, gone. Friends, family, Bobby, everyone."

"Bobby, that's right," Reggie agreed. "I guess that vegetarian lucked out. What do you think happened to him?"

"Went solo, spiralled, made a comeback, failed and decided to settle down as a substitute teacher," I suggested, causing the guys to chuckle.

"He probably just got old like everybody else and moved on," Luke shrugged.

"Dude, how are you so casual about all of this?" Alex asked in disbelief. "I mean, don't you wanna figure out what happened?"

"Well, let's be real for a second," Luke said. "It's not like any of us were that close to our families. My folks always regretted buying me that guitar. Reggie, your parents were literally a fight away from a divorce. Alex, I - Your parents were never cool again after you told them you were gay."

"Okay, none of us had it great, alright?" Alex began. "But at least we had something. You know, what do we have now? And before you say cool teleportation skills, just know I'm not entirely okay with that either, alright? It tingles ... in weird places."

"I'll tell you what we have," Luke said. "It's what we've had since the day we came together. Boys, we have us."

"Ahem," I coughed.

"With the charming addition of Ruth," Luke corrected. "We're the only family we're ever gonna need. You know what else we have?"

"I'm gonna guess death breath," Reggie suggested.

"Our music, you dork," Luke corrected.

As Luke gave another one of his motivational speeches to the guys, my mind drifted elsewhere. What Alex said was right. Everyone was gone. If Rose was gone, surely that meant my mom was gone too. The thought left a heavy feeling in my chest.

"I just ... I wish I had my guitar."

I snapped back to reality as a guitar appeared in Luke's hands.

"Whoa, that was rad!" Reggie exclaimed. "How'd you do that?"

"I don't know," Luke admitted. "I mean, I wished for it, and then it came in my hands."

"I wish I had a puppy!" Reggie beamed, but nothing happened. "A hamster? Pizza?"

Disappointed at his lack of fulfilment, Reggie kicked the sand and sat down. Given the revelation I just had, I joined him. The two of us sulked as sand filled our shoes.

"Hey, I think I know something that'll cheer you up," Luke grinned.

Luke started strumming an upbeat tune on his guitar. I had enough of pretending everything was okay, so I left.

Fortunately, none of the guys followed me. I needed to be alone. I went to the place I felt safest. An abandoned treehouse in the middle of the woods.

Let me explain.

Whenever I needed to get away from my hectic life at home, I went for a walk around my block. The crazier my life got, the further I walked. One day, I walked until I came across the woods. I wasn't brave enough to venture in at the time, but I made a mental note to return in the daylight.

Luckily for me, I found myself wanting to return home less and less. So, one day after school, I headed straight for the woods. It wasn't as scary as it looked during the night time. There were even people walking their dogs. I decided to go off-trail and explore the mysterious grounds.

It was during that moment of exploration that I came across a shed-like structure amongst the trees. It was a treehouse that had been abandoned. By who, I don't know. There weren't any houses around. It might have been a part of an old park, but there wasn't much evidence to prove that either.

That treehouse became my home away from home. Well, during the warmer weather, anyway. By the time winter came around, I knew better. I spent my days reading and writing up in that treehouse. Occasionally, I found myself compelled to do my homework.

By some miracle, the treehouse was still there twenty-five years later. How? I do not know.

As I looked around, I noticed all of my things were still there. You'd think after twenty-five years someone would have discovered this safe haven. Then again, not as many people would have been brave enough to climb up the wobbly, and most likely rotting, ladder.

I picked up one of my old notebooks and flicked through the pages. I was never one for keeping a diary. I preferred to lose myself in my imagination. That was far less depressing than real life, after all.

I curled up with the notebook for a while and read back through my old stories. I even had some lyrics thrown in there. Most of it was a load of rubbish, but some of it brought a smile to my face.

After I turned the last page, I looked out to see it was still bright out. I was so lost in my past, I thought it would be darker. I decided to head back to the studio.

"Whoa, there you are!" Reggie beamed.

"Where'd you go?" Alex asked.

"Nowhere in particular," I shrugged. "Where's Luke?"

Alex and Reggie exchanged an almost guilty glance.

"Nowhere in particular," Alex gave me a small frown.

I nodded, understanding it was not their place to say and possibly not my place to know. Everyone had their secrets after all.

"So," I attempted to break the awkward silence. "What are you guys up to?"

"Nothing in particular," Reggie mused, to which Alex rolled his eyes.

"We were going to explore the house while Julie's out."

"Right," I squinted my eyes. "Because that's a totally cool thing to do?"

"We can't stick around in the garage all day!"

"Exactly," I raised my arms. "You only have the entire world to explore."

Just as my arms fell to my sides, Luke walked in. Maybe it was the lighting, but his eyes looked a little red and puffy. Despite this, Luke smiled and pointed back out the door.

"Guys," He began. "You should totally check out Julie's room there's so much cool stuff in there."

Before I could even comprehend everything wrong with that statement, Reggie and Alex had vanished. Luke turned to me.

"You coming?"

I rolled my eyes and grabbed his arm.