𝟒𝟓 | 𝐅𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐫

Once the song was over, Caleb poofed us into a dressing room backstage. Needless to say, we were all freaking out.

"What just happened?!" Alex exclaimed, throwing his drumsticks aside.

"I don't know, man, but we have to get out of here," Luke said. "We cannot let Julie down again."

I stood in silence as the guys bickered over how best to escape Caleb's grasp. Different tactics, different schemes, different ways to fulfil our unfinished business. But I knew there was only one solution.

"Guys," I said, causing them to fall to silence. "There's only one way to get you onto that stage tonight ... and it's me."

"What are you talking about, Ruth?" Alex asked, concern in his eyes.

"I can set up the equipment from here," I explained. "All you guys need to do is feel for your instruments."

"Are you not coming with us?" Reggie asked.

"I can't," I said. "Or at least I don't think I can. I'll try, but I'm not making any promises."

"No way, Ruth," Luke stepped forward. "There's no way we're leaving without you."

"Then we'll all be stuck here," I shrugged, tears stinging my eyes. "Don't you get it, Luke? By doing this we can all crossover - I'm still technically sound engineering a show at the Orpheum, right?"

I could see the conflict flickering behind his eyes, he knew what I was saying, but he didn't want to go. Not even to crossover.

"But hey," I shrugged. "Worst comes to worst, playing the Orpheum was not our unfinished business and we meet back in the garage to die a horrible second death together, right?"

"Ruth, I don't know - "

"Just trust me, okay?" I pleaded.

Luke looked me dead in the eye and nodded. "I love you."

"I love you too."

With that, I checked the clock. Julie would've just gone onstage. It was now or never. I conjured the equipment and nodded to the guys, they had to go.

"I hope we get to thing together in every universe," Alex smiled, before vanishing.

"Thanks for everything, Ruth," Reggie smiled sadly. "See you on the flip side."

Luke hesitated, I started to cry.

"Luke please don't do this," I begged. "Just go."

Luke cupped my face in his hands. "We didn't have enough time."

"I know," I sniffed. "But death is just about as fair as life, Luke. There's nothing we can do about it, okay? You have to go."

Luke shook his head. "There has to be another way."

"There isn't," I lied. "Not if we want to crossover."

Luke planted one last teary kiss on my lips. "I'll find you. Wherever we go, I will find you again."

I nodded. "Okay, just know I'll always love you."

With that Luke started to flicker, his guitar appearing in his hands.

"Luke," I said gently. "You have to let go."

Suddenly, the flickering stopped and Luke was gone.

I was alone. Or so I thought.