𝟏𝟐 | 𝐁𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠

As the guys discussed Julie's undeniable talent, I decided to go up to the loft and have a snoop around.

"Hey guys!" I called. "There are some clothes up here. Are they yours?"

I threw a few bags down so they could have a look.

"Sweet!" Luke exclaimed, searching through the bags.

I leaned over the rail. "I'll take that as a 'yes.'"

"Oh, same clothes since ninety-five, boys," Luke said as he took off his shirt.

I couldn't help but get a little distracted by the sight.

"Did your mom ever tell you it's rude to stare?"

I flinched as I realised Alex had appeared beside me. "Jesus, you scared me. And I'm not staring, for the record."

"Oh, yeah?" Alex raised his eyebrows. "Then what's that thing you're doing with your eyes?"

"Blinking."

"Oh, no," Alex teased. "I was referring to the prolonged periods of not blinking."

"Oh, that was weird!" I heard Reggie say from below. "But somehow I can tell this man has a kind heart."

Alex and I looked down to see Julie's dad had walked into the studio with a camera in his hands. I saw this as my opportunity to escape. I appeared beside him and took in his appearance.

"So," I began, circling around him. "You're the guy who captured my best friend's heart."

"So, how've ya been?" He said, causing me to stop in my tracks.

"Honestly, not that good," Reggie began. "See, we ate these hot dogs and - "

"Julie sang for the first time this morning," Julie's dad continued. "Ah, she hadn't done that in almost a year. You would've loved it."

"Yeah, we saw 'cause we were - " Reggie came to a realisation. "Oh! Oh, I get it. He's not talking to us."

"Congratulations," I said with a heavy amount of sarcasm.

"You are so lucky you can play bass," Luke stated.

"Pretty sure he's talking to Julie's mom," Alex said.

"She's such an amazing young woman," Julie's dad continued. "Every day she reminds me more and more of you."

"Called it!" Alex pointed his finger from above.

"Yeah," I folded my arms. "Julie is a lot like Rose."

"I'm taking pictures for the real estate website," The man held up his camera. "I don't really wanna move but ... I guess it's best for Julie."

"Move?" Luke frowned.

I threw my hands up in defeat. "C'mon, man! You were just about to get in my good books."

"Are we in your good books?" Reggie asked.

I gave Alex a pointed glance. "Don't worry, Reggie. You are."

"Nice!"

"There's so many memories of Julie playing next to you and," Julie's dad laughed as my eyes began to leak. "Of Carlos trying to sing with his missing two front teeth."

Luke placed a hand over his face.

"Oh no, Luke, not you too." Reggie frowned.

Luke tried his best to hold back the tears, but failed miserably. "He's talking about moving, but the poor guy, he doesn't wanna move."

We all tried our best to contain ourselves as Julie's dad continued to take pictures.

"It's like," The man continued. "They grew up out here."

"Oh man," Reggie waved his hands before his eyes. "Now he's got me too."

"It's okay," I patted him on the back. "Let it out, man."

"Okay, how am I the emotional one?" Alex asked.

"Twenty-five seconds versus twenty-five years, Alex," I had started to fan myself. "That's how."

"Can we go see my family and see how they're doing?" Reggie asked.

"Yeah," Alex said. "Listening to this feels ... wrong."

"Hey, do you remember when the kid's were at your sister's and we came out here on our anniversary - "

"Yeah, no," Luke cut him off. "Definitely wrong."

We all got out of there before we could hear anymore.