𝟑𝟑 | 𝐆𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭

The days went by, and everything was going well. I'd wander the streets of Hollywood - or anywhere really - when it was sunny out and watch lifers live their lives. I wondered what their stories were. What struggles did they have to go through? What made them want to get up in the morning? Why was that one guy eating ice-cream off the street?

Other times, I would visit my mom and not-brother just to see what they were up to - to see how much better their lives were without me. I don't think the guys knew about that. Well, Luke probably guessed, but he never mentioned it.

When I'd return to the garage, the guys would usually be writing and coming up with melodies, riffs, solos and just generally making magic happen. Depending on how long I was gone, Julie might be there with them. After school, she would usually join them in the garage to work on music - granted she had her homework done, of course. Julie took the deal she made with her dad very seriously. "School first," she'd remind the guys when it was starting to get late and she had school the following morning.

One day when I returned, however, the garage was scarily quiet. Usually, I would appear outside, the garage door would be closed, and I would hear something coming from inside - whether it was bass, singing, or even just talking - and I would go in to see the guys, and sometimes Julie, sitting around working on something. But this time, there was no one in sight. The sofa was empty and there weren't any instruments plugged in. Everything was as I left it.

When I looked over to the piano, though, I saw Luke quietly scribbling away in his journal. I considered poofing up behind him and scaring him, but he always looked so peaceful when he was in the zone - the way one might look when they were having a beautiful dream. Luke was in his own little bubble, so I settled for leaning against the wall and watching him.

"What are you looking at?" Luke teased.

I jumped at his sudden words. I had been standing there for minutes. I briefly forgot I existed. It felt like I was in the zone.

"Nothing," I said as I made my way over to the piano. "Just didn't want to interrupt."

"You're allowed to look at me you know," Luke smirked. "I am your suitor."

"Suitor?" I laughed. "We're in the future, Luke, not the past."

"Well, we haven't discussed labels or anything," Luke shrugged. "I just thought suitor sounded kind of hot."

"It really doesn't," I laughed.

"Well, what would you suggest?" Luke asked, a hint of mischief in his eyes.

"I hate you," I joked. Being put on the spot is what I truly hated.

"Your actions suggest otherwise."

"Fine," I paused to think. "How about ghosts with mutual acquaintances?"

Luke laughed. "Have I been demoted or something?"

"Yeah," I laughed. "You can't put me on the spot like that."

"Fine," Luke leaned forward. "Can I make a suggestion then?"

"Go ahead," I said as I leaned on the piano, across from him.

"Boyfriend?"

"Hmm," I made him wait. "Would that make me your girlfriend, then?"

"That's usually how it works."

"Right," I pondered. "It's simple, yet effective."

Luke chuckled. "Is that a yes?"

"Yes," I smiled.

I made my way around the piano and sat next to Luke. Our lips met as they usually did and his hands cupped my face as they usually did. I liked the interesting little relationship we had going on.

Luke pulled away with the smile on his face. "Hey, check out this song I was working on."

Luke pushed what I thought was his journal toward me, but as I read the lyrics, I realised it was my notebook. I slammed it shut, to see the black and white zebra print looking back at me, and turned to face him.

"This is mine!"

"I know," Luke shrugged. "You've been carrying it around all the time. I wanted to know why."

"Boundaries!" I mimicked Julie. "You could've asked."

"See, I thought about that," Luke explained. "But if I did that, there would have been more of a chance of you saying no."

I blinked a couple of times before shaking my head. "You are ridiculous."

"Takes one to know one, girlfriend," Luke teased.

"Don't make me laugh right now," I said not-so-firmly. "I am trying to be mad at you."

"Trying and failing," Luke smiled as he pinched my cheek. "It's so adorable."

"You are unbelievable," I said as I stood up and reached for my notebook.

Luke gently took my arm and guided me back down. "No, don't go. I'm sorry, okay? But I figured we already knew most of the deeper stuff about each other. What more could there possibly be?"

I buried my head in my hands. I don't know, maybe all of the embarrassing stuff I wrote down when I was dramatically pining for you or something. I can't believe I just thought that. Vomit.

"And, you did kind of read through my journal," Luke shrugged. "It's only fair."

I groaned and sat up. "Fine, how much did you read?"

"Up to around here," Luke pinched the first couple of pages.

"Okay, let's keep it that way," I smiled, knowing that was a bunch of stuff I had written before I had even met him.

"No way," Luke flicked through the pages. "There's a whole novel back here."

"Luke."

"Fine," Luke slid the notebook over to me. "But, this was pretty good."

I looked down to see a page entitled Edge Of Great. Oh god.

"Luke I wrote that when I was fifteen," I felt my cheeks go red. "Don't hold it against me. It's so old."

"What are you talking about?" Luke laughed. "I made some small changes here and there, but it's actually good. Listen."

Luke started to play a few chords on the piano and sing the words I had written so long ago. The words Rose had dared me to write. If it wasn't for her daring me to at least try songwriting, I wouldn't have written it at all. I wouldn't have been sitting there, listening to Luke's soothing voice bring the song to life. I don't know how, but he actually managed to make it sound good. Maybe it was just because it was him singing it.

"See?" Luke smiled. "It's great!"

I pulled the notebook closer so I could read it. "What did you do to it?"

"Nothing," Luke laughed. "I changed some of the words up a little, but it's pretty much the same as it was."

I scanned the page to see small scribbles of red here and there, but for the most part it was still the same song. "It never sounded that good in my head."

"Maybe you just didn't have the right melody for it," Luke suggested.

"Well, if you love it so much, take it," I shrugged. "I'm not gonna do anything with it."

"Does that mean I can have this?" Luke asked, as he held up my notebook.

"You can borrow my notebook on one condition," I said. "Don't read anything in black pen."

Luke shrugged. "Okay."

"Okay," I confirmed.

"Are you mad at me for looking in your notebook?"

"No," I said. "I'm mad at you because I can't be mad at you."

"Is it because I'm your boyfriend now?" Luke grinned cheekily.

"I can demote you to ghost with mutual acquaintances at any second."

"But you won't," Luke smiled.

"Give me one good reason."

Luke kissed me. I would've settled for a smile, but that worked too.