(Arc 2) Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Past Lovers and Past Enemies

Dongying - Ancient Chinese term for Japan (mentioned in the actual novel book 4)

Otosan - Polite Japanese word that means Father

╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╝

From pink lips to red lips. Because of the blood coming from your mouth, your lip color became crimson red. The blood acted like some sort of red lip gloss

Your vision was getting blurry, familar strong arms enveloped you "Dear! Dear!?" Jun Wu's voiced called out to you and the last thing you saw was your father carrying you to your bed before everything went black.

"Fengmi, are you awake?"

Slowly opening your eyes, you blinked a few times before sitting up. Turning your head side to side, you saw the vast sea. Both the sky and the sea were blue and you who just woke up felt funny seeing the view.

You were dreaming about the past again, your old memories resurfacing. Around 180 years ago to be precise.

"Tidy yourself up now, we're going to Dongying, to meet their imperial royal gods" Dongying as i said before was an ancient chinese term for Japan, mentioned in the actual novel book 4. Yep, there's real life references but in this book. Dongying is also like Japan in the early days.

"Dongying has similarities with our culture, Fengmi. But, with this diplomatic meeting, you can distinguish the differences" And that indeed came true.

Upon the arrival, you get to meet their shogun. Dongying Shogun or bakufu had the same position as Heavenly Emperor. And he had a bright daughter, a very talented lady.

Although the shogun was not the emperor in dongying, they were considered royalty and so his daughter was addressed as princess or himegemi.

During the banquet, you saw her wearing stylish robes you've never seen before. The ribbon could be seen infront unlike the civilians you saw in Dongying who tied their ribbons behind.

Although, Mei Nianqing had his eyebrows quirked up. You didn't realize something was wrong until the shogun banged his fan on his daughter's head.

"Young lady! Don't dress up like an Oiran! You should know your place as a princess not a courtesan!" Her father scolded her "But otosan! I just wanted to try something new-" she got interrupted again "Go back and change into something formal! We have guests from a foreign land!"

First impressions were quiet interesting huh. You saw her as someone who experiments even in dangerous things like dressing up as a prostitute, or a Tayu and Oiran in Dongying terms. The Dongying princess however, saw you as an eccentric lady.

Having tea talks between the emperor and shogun and their daughters infront, while they converse in such topics. You and the princess stared into each other's eyes

"I...I'm Tokugawa Angelina...what's yours?" Her voice was meek, she was clearly shy. You crossed your legs "Greetings, i am (Name) Wu. I am 30 years old"

She nodded a hundred times due to her shyness and you were worried if she could get concussion "I-i'm 27! Pleased to meet you (Name)-senpai!" You tilted your head "Senpai?" She scratched her head "Senpai is what we Dongying people describe our seniors. Kouhai is for juniors...Ah if you don't like it i can change it!"

"No it's fine Angelina" you hummed "Y-you can call me Edna since my name is too long, it's what my friends call me!"

It started very sweet at first. Your diplomatic meetings happened often. Edna's point of view changed from being nervous and scared of you, to admiring you from afar.

It didn't take long for you to return the same feelings. Edna was also a crown princess loved by her people, her beauty and generosity made many samurais work hard in battles just to gain the bakufu's favor to marry her.

You learned more about Dongying soon you changed into their traditional clothing called Kimono everytime you visit her. You learned the creatures like the kitsune, yokai that were her trusted friends.

You exchanged letters and sentimental objects. Somedays Edna would wear your hanfu to shock and confuse her people and you would do the same to a Kimono and Yukata.

Your father at first was fine but had his doubts with this relationship but, things had to end....at some point.

"But papa! Why!?" tears streamed down your eyes "I am doing this for your own good. Trust me dear, that princess is up to no good" You didn't believe him but you did...after that one night.

It stings, it hurts, it's gut wrenching. To have your skin impaled by a cult and be held together by a white rope created with kami magic to purify evil

The white rope was a shimenawa, used to purify evil...so why..why was it used on you "Purify her!"
"Such a filthy God, she reeks of Yin!"
"Because she is the incarnation of death!"

It hurts, it hurts so much. Among the crowd you saw her....standing infront. A wide smirk on her face.

"Edna...? Why are you standing there!? Help me!" She did not move an inch and stared at you with the most disturbing smile ever.

"AH!" Your eyes were wide open as you sat up clenching your head.

You didn't notice that your cheeks already had dried tears on it. "Dear? I'm here" Jun Wu called out, your anxiety slowly going down.

Jun Wu already called the medical officials and doctors while you laid back in your bed and he sat on a chair beside you. He held your cold hand in his, worry all over his face

"Did you do this for him again?" He asked, you slowly opened your eyes "No...." your voice was low and soft "I did, it, for, a, little, boy...not A...Lian" and you could barely form a straight sentence "A little boy, you say?"

"I did it, for, the...common, people" that made Jun Wu's blood boil

His hands who were softly tugging yours now clenched into a fist. You were in a daze, why were you dreaming that out of all things and why now?

A century has passed, and Edna was engraved into your memory. Following you like a shadow. She has become your inner demons everytime you want to trust Xie Lian. But you just can't, the past follows you like a shadow.

In Xianle, the news spread really fast. The heavenly princess got poisoned and is now recovering? What great timing, because they were also preparing for their crown prince's birthday!

"Baobei...please be okay" Xie Lian sat alone in his room, worried and felt a chill down his spine when he theorizes any possibilities that included you not surviving.

Xianle citizens filled your temple with herbs as offerings, but some said that you were a God so you shouldn't be so sickly and didn't dramatized the sudden news.

That construction man who recognized you as the heavenly princess and protected Hong'er, got confronted by him.

"Hah? what are you saying kid? That I'm the one to blame if your pretty jiejie dies because of a mere poison?"

He stood up from his seat and Hong'er held his ground "Look kiddo, it's your fault. If you didn't pull any tricks none of that would happen. If you just took the teacup, your jiejie won't be bedridden, yet you just had to pull a stunt like that."

"But you've gone too far!"

"Too far?" The man cackled "You're worthless to begin with. You can't even defend your jiejie, what a shame, she protected a useless slimy kid. All her efforts were for naught, and you keep on admiring the crown prince. He doesn't even look at you in the eye! Doesn't even acknowledge you!"

Hong'er clenched his teeth "But-"

"No buts kiddo, go yap somewhere else. Or better off dead" He glared at him "Your mother died anyway. You were kicked out of your home. No one wants you. No one needs you. No one even cares about you. You shouldn't have existed."

And that man left leaving a crying Hong'er, shaking on the ground.

He punched the ground with his hand "Maybe he's...right...maybe I'm better off to be dead..." He slowly looked up and saw a building that was taller than the rest, a plan forming on his mind.