(Arc 2) Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Limerence and Lamentation

"Here's your ginger tea, (Name)"

"Thank you"

Lin Jia brewed you ginger tea, but why ginger? Because during your healing days, your period also came. Double torture. Ginger tea helped on period cramps.

Lin Jia was the same civil god that helped you walk to your bedroom when you entered the avenue with blood oozing from your mouth. Not only that but she was also one of the officials you trust the most. She was like a best friend.

Sure she was pretty and was totally one of the girls you would sleep with, but in all honesty you never felt any romantic desire or sexual lust for her...it was...pure friendship.

Other gods who knew of your...nightly activities. They assume that it won't be long when Lin Jia is in your bed all bare, but it's been 100 years and yet she's still a friend.

She was only 5 months older than you and your gege, same birth year. Sometimes when you both have the chance to meet up, you discuss personal things with her.

Shuai Chen was absent for the time being and Lin Jia volunteered to take over his place in the meantime of serving, catering and tending to your needs.

The ginger tea was the perfect taste, not too strong, not less, just the right amount. "Everyone has been curious about your husband, (Name)"

She stood beside your bed, her hands placed on both of her thighs. "Thats to be expected...but i need to take things off of my mind"

You took a sip and took a deep exhale "You know, when i saw those opera singers and festival dancers in Xianle i couldn't help but think..." your eyes lowered down and focused on the ginger tea in the teacup

"Why can't i be like them...?" This catched Lin Jia's attention "Since i was a little girl i always have a hobby for singing and dancing, on days where i can be inside my room alone, i would practice humming a few tunes and copy their moves..."

"You can be like them, (Name), what's preventing you?"

Lin Jia's question made you remember his words. Years ago when you were around 9, you had an argument with Jun Wu. You cried and pleaded, reasoned with him that you want to be on the stage once and he said:

"Stop this nonsense. You're not a Civil God who's talents only end at literature, singing, dancing. You're not a Martial God either. You are my daughter, a princess-goddess. You're above them. Yet you choose to mingle and do common people activities!? Enough! Go to your room!"

With a bang, he slammed the door shut behind you. Your younger self slid to the ground crying, staining your robes with wet heavy tears.

A tear slid down your eye. "I...well...my father. Papa doesn't want me to.." you wiped the tear that fell.

Lin Jia was silent for a few moments before patting you on the head, your eyes went wide at her actions and she smiled at you

"He is your father, but he can't control your life."

"Easier said than done..."

You sighed "Someday...if i could break free from the invisible chains..."you looked out of the window in deep thought "I love my papa, but he's just...strict."

"Tell me" She didn't need to say what did she mean, she can already tell that you had a ton to vent to her.

You barely paid attention to her and you couldn't hold it in anymore. Tears were flowing out of your eyes. Lin Jia quickly noticed it and wiped it from your cheeks