17) Meeting my nemesis

*****JACK*****

    "Is that how low you'll go?" I roar, glaring down at the blonde thorn that had attached itself on my ass. Slowly draining me of life.

   "Yes Jack. It's either you marry me, or I'll get rid of this damn pregnancy," she states, tears giving her eyes a bit of glimmer.

  Remain calm. Just be calm.

My thoughts are in disarray, my heart feels like an axe is slowly being plunged deeper in it.

         Marry her?
I take a deep breath, cooling down my demons lest I do something wild to her. She's annoying. Irritating. And stubborn.
Everytime I see her, my soul wishes it could reverse time and avoid her trap.

   "Say something," Pattie sobs running her hands on her face to wipe off the tears. "My parents want me to marry Paul and I don't want that." Our eyes meet. I can see the desperation that is now surfacing. "I want you Jack." Her tone softens to a low hurt whisper.

    "Gawd!" I curse lowly as my right hand runs through my hair.

What do I do?
Of course I have no intention of marrying her. But I also do not want to think of her killing an innocent life just because of our differences.

"Give me some time to think," I lie to her with the intention of wanting her to give me space so I can plan carefully.

     Pattie sniffs, her eyes still on me.
   "You promise?"

I nod. "Just go home and rest. I'll call you later." More lies.

   A weak smile brightens her sobbing face. But she buys the lies and walks past me.
"I'll be waiting," her final words before exiting the office.

When the soft thud of the door closing floats to my ears, the anger I was holding in explodes. I grab the glass vase on my desk and smash it on the floor, venting some of my rage. But it isn't enough, no.
    My hands sweep the entire desk to the left, sending everything that was on it on the floor. Noises as glass shutters and screens break fill the room, possibly slipping outside as well.

          "How the fuck did I get here?" I yell at the ceiling, knowing very well that whoever listened had heard my angry words.

--------------------------------

               *****ANNIE*****

I stare blankly at the papers that have just been delivered, feeling lost for a while.
    The Daytons are really serious about playing the game, huh? I scoff at myself.
They want Paul to see through the marriage agreement he had years ago or else, his release will be revoked and they will label him a traitor.

What this is, is a threat.
They want to forcefully form an alliance with Black Blood for reasons I know too well... project Beta. The weapon that might change the course of history.
     Every organization out there wants to be part of the project. And this only means trouble for me.

What needs to be done, my heart knows too well... Shadows. Jack is the only leader I can trust to form an alliance with.

    Dumping the papers on the envelope, I let out a conflicted sigh. What must be done, should be done.

--------------------------------

   The air quickly shifts from icy to cosy when I walk in Jack's headquarters. The air smells pleasing as well as the aroma of fresh coffee drifts about to my nostrils.
It warms my soul just picturing the cup of coffee tucked safely in my palms, but the mental image is rubbed off by Matt's voice.

   "Miss Dayton is coming this way Boss."

My attention snaps back to the path I'm walking on which is leading directly for the receptionist and I spot Pattie walking from the elevator corner.

    Her gaze seems to wandered about, as if she was avoiding looking at people directly. It takes me only a second to acknowledge why she is behaving so odd. Her eyes appear to be a little swollen, possibly from shedding a tear or two.

  My little demon grins, satisfied with such a sight. I can already imagine why she was crying; throwing herself at Jack and being rejected.
It seems as if the script hadn't changed. Which is good for me. At least I still have a chance to win Jack's heart back.

     I slow down intentionally, blocking Pattie's path.

  "Sorry Mi- Pattie?" I pull on a shocked reaction. "If I had known I'll run into you here I'd-"

"Cut the bulshit," she hisses while her reddish eyes meet mine.
I smirk proudly.

   "What are you talking about? Soon you'll be what, my in-law?"

  My words seem to sting her. She grips her silver purse firmly in what feels like anger.

    "It'll be fun," I continue teasing.

Pattie snorts, "Only Jack will allow that damned marriage."
There is confidence in her words and it almost triggers me. But reason slips in, why would Jack interfere?

    "Oh really?"

Pattie smiles, ignoring how sad her appearance looks. "Yes darling. And I very much doubt if he'll allow it. You see, a lot happened while you were out galloping in the sunset with your little prince. But it's not yet time for the truth. It'll be a waste spilling it right now."

I frown to her prideful words.
Her attitude is more than sure that Jack will not allow the marriage to go through.
   But, why?

Leaving me drowning in confusion, Pattie walks past me, brushing her shoulder against mine in a disrespectful manner.

   "Boss?" Matt calls.

I gaze at him, wondering if that conversation had really happened.

  "Should we, proceed?"

All I do is nod, before resuming with walking. Only this time, I head directly at the elevators, leaving Matt to sort out the signing in bulshit. He has the platinum card anyway, it won't be any problem for him to wind up with the process unlike last time.

****This was a bit of experiment. How's this version? Present tense.
Do y'all prefer this or the normal past tense? I'll be waiting for your feedback in the comments... ❤️❤️***