young and beautiful - lana del rey

GRACIE CAME HOME TO HER PARENTS pulling in separately. she could already tell they were mad from seeing her enter the house at nine pm. she silently walked through the doorway, taking her shoes off and dropping the keys onto the counter.

"hey jayj, you hold the fort down?" she asked softly, ruffling his hair.

he nodded, pausing the tv which played star wars, "oh yea. someone walked by the house - but don't worry, me and ani barked till they ran off." she laughed, not even doubting his words.

"listen, mom and dad just got home, so they're pretty upset with me." he gave her a confused look which she shook her head to, "why don't you go bring ani upstairs to finish the movie? i can make some popcorn after, if you want." his eyes lit up and he nodded, turning the tv off.

"wait-" he turned back just as his feet reached the stairs, "will you watch it with me?"

she nodded with a small smile, "course. now go." his loud footsteps were followed by the clacking of nails on the ground. gracie watched as her dog's tail zoomed around the corner after her brother with a sigh.

the garage door opened and she winced, preparing for the numerous disappointed words that were bound to spill from her parents mouths about her grades and responsibility.

gracie awoke the next morning in jj's bed. he was snoring loudly making her roll her eyes. she peeled his limbs off of hers as quietly and slowly as possible before leaving his room for her own.

she rubbed her eyes while she changed, trying not to think about her parents warnings of making her switch to a public education if she failed the music class. they almost took her phone, but she ultimately convinced them with the reminder that if they did, they wouldn't be able to track her on life360.

the morning was slow for her, but she tried to look good - it made her more motivated. she perfected her makeup and did a half-up half-down, tying a pink bow around the rubber band. she smiled in her mirror, tilting her head as she adjusted her crop top to line up with her jeans.

despite her slow movements, gracie still had time to spare, so she was able to walk to julie's house and text dylan to pick her up there.

by the time she reached the nice home, a song was flowing from the garage. she paused on the driveway, slowly walking up the pavement to peer through the windows. julie was sitting at the grand piano, playing effortlessly and beautifully. but what caught gracie's attention was her voice - it was even better than she could've imagined. her range was beautiful and she sounded perfect. she smiled, adjusting onto her tip toes to see through the window more clearly.

she only heard a minute or less of the song, but gracie was left smiling after the last chord rang out. she looked creepy, she realized.

a whoosh sound made her jump and spin quickly with her phone held in front of her. luke put his hands up, "you gonna try to attack us every time you see us, princess?"

his sly smirk made her glare harden, "princess? i'm not a princess."

he shrugged casually, "you're wearing a bow."

"i'm just a girl!" she huffed, "bows are pretty."

luke suddenly grinned, leaning against the garage doors casually, "you're pretty." she gave him a side-eye, standing on her toes again to look through the window at julie.

"why don't you go in there?" alex asked watching the blushing girl struggle to see.

"she's crying, i don't know if i should." she mumbled.