its nice to have a friend - taylor swift

WRITING A SONG FOR LUKE WAS ALMOST too easy. gracie had more trouble picking one for him. she was pacing in her room, her acoustic guitar strapped to her body and her lips moving rapidly as she speed-sang multiple songs in a minute.

"what are you doing?" the blonde jumped, spinning on her heels to see alex standing in her room. she blushed deeply, shrugging. his eyes landed on her open song book and as soon as her's widened and she made a move to grab it, it was in his hands.

a small smile sketched itself onto his face, "it's nice to have a friend, damn, gracie - this is just sad."

she sighed, itching her brow, "okay - that's not really the whole purpose of it -"

he flipped the page, "can't catch me now?" he went silent as he read the lyrics, his brows knitting together, "what -"

"that one i wrote about a book i read - it's just, it's kinda sorta - um, some parts may be inspired by luke's... life." she glanced at her book cart, eyeing the hunger games trilogy - the prequel placed elegantly on top.

alex gave her a surprised face she winced, "i know, i know. i write to process. i like to write about stories and - it's not like i'll ever perform that one... the next song, though - that one is good."

he scoffed in amusement before turning the page. he read the lyrics, instantly smiling, "this one's really good - i mean, so are the others."

"yeah, this one's the only one for the band." she clarified, sitting on her bed.

alex joined her, "long live?"

she shrugged, "nice ring."

"so, what were you doing?" he asked, handing her the book back.

she sighed, "promise not to tell luke?"

he grinned, "oh, i love these kinds of promises. definitely."

she chuckled lightly, "i'm trying to figure out which song to show him...? i kinda, i wrote a few. now i just have to choose...." the blonde flipped through her book to a page marked: songs for luke!

she cleared her throat as a blush filled her cheeks at the long list, doodles of suns, stars, hearts, and butterflies lining the sides.

"damn." he muttered, "cool glitter pen." she hummed, handing him her book again.

"so - i have daylight, bad idea right?, nonsense, i can see you, foolish one, message in a bottle, and crazier. i know - don't say anything," she stood, pacing again, "i feel like i shouldn't play him a few of those only because... uh, they're weird for him to hear from me... yeah, you can just go read them. they're written in order in the previous pages."

she paced, playing with her hair as he read. she blushed furiously when he turned to nonsense, having to cover her face when he choked in surprise.

it'd been twenty minutes before he finished - he kept rereading nonsense out of pure surprise, against her wishes.

"so?" she asked, stringing her hands together in front of the blond.

alex shrugged, throwing his hands up, "i have no clue."

she scoffed, "you're joking."

he shrugged again, "listen, you're very talented and those were really good songs, but it's awkward to sit someone down and just sing at them."

she whined, "i know! what do i do, though?"

alex stood, "message in a bottle is super bold - nonsense is even more bold - but you're also sorta confessing your love in daylight and the others are you kinda making fun of him?"

she waited, giving him a look, "and...?"

alex inhaled, "crazier is honestly the most sane for confessing your crush."

her face suddenly fell, "fuck! i wasn't supposed to be confessing. i was supposed to just make him feel better! damn it!" she groaned, pacing again.

alex chuckled, "at the end of the day, you've gotta go with your gut. luke really values your opinion... whatever you do, he'll respect and appreciate."

she slowed her footsteps, an idea coming to mind. she looked up at the boy, "thanks, alex. you're the absolute best."

the blond shrugged with a grin, "yeah, i try."

she smiled fondly at him before pulling her guitar off to push clothes around in her closet. she should probably change into something more presentable than a hoodie and nike pros if she was going to do what she was planning on doing.

the blonde turned around with a white sweater and a pink sweater. alex watched her choose the pink one and rifle through her drawers for jeans before he suddenly blurted out, "your brother's gay?"

gracie's face crinkled from her concentrated one to a protective one quickly. she turned, soft anger on her features, "so what if he is? it's 2020 now, he can be whatever he wants... and he's not gay."

"but - but he said he dated -"

"jj is unlabeled..." she tilted her head, "sorta. he's going through a phase where he has to be mysterious, but i know he's bisexual," she turned to grab converse, mumbling, "he really needs to learn how to delete search history."

"i'm gay." alex told her after holding his breath for a long time.

gracie looked up, her face softening instantly, "oh, alex... thanks for telling me. shit, i just thought you were homophobic, everyone was in the '90s," her face twisted into sorrow, "oh, that must've been so hard for you. i'm sorry."

alex had a look on his face like he was never expecting such a natural and peaceful reaction, "thanks."

a small smile etched onto her face, "i'm glad you told me," her smile quickly grew, "now i have two gay brothers!"

he chuckled, "you consider me your brother?"

she shrugged lightly, "yeah, you and reggie. you guys are great."

alex smiled, staring off, before it grew into a grin, "wanna hear something 'bout luke?"

she looked up quickly, "yes?"

alex pressed his tongue against his cheek, "he was my first kiss."

she gasped, "no! really?"

he nodded proudly, "yeah - but he definitely likes girls." she blushed lightly, an embarrassing amount of relief filling her at the clarification.

"what happened?" she asked, sitting down on her bed.

alex hummed, "i misread the room, that's how he learned about it. worst day of my life - i thought he'd tell the entire ninth grade."

"but he didn't?" she asked quietly, engaged.

alex shook his head, "nah, he invited me over the next day. basically made a presentation on how he felt. he just kept talking in circles, though. i still appreciated it, he's never made me feel unwelcome. none of the guys did."

a grin pulled gracie's red cheeks up, "that's sweet."

alex smiled slightly, "i should go, and you should change for whatever you're doing."

"hey, thanks alex," she said in a genuine voice which he nodded to, "but don't you dare tell luke about this."

he sniffed, looking around like he didn't hear her, "man, it's cold in here."

"alex-" he poofed away, causing a dreadful feeling to fill her stomach, "asshole."