maybe, im afraid - lovelytheband

IT WAS HOT, LIKE REALLY HOT. all gracie wanted to do was dive head first into the massive pool she knew the wilson's had. especially after having to pull and push flynn and julie over the barbed wire fence. she was sure there could've been an easier way to enter the estate... like ringing the doorbell by the gates. but flynn and julie insisted upon ringing the one by the actual door - claiming carrie would turn them away otherwise.

"ow!" flynn whispered when she tripped. gracie helped haul her up with a grunt.

julie glanced back, "don't stop, go. keep on going." the girls mumbled words to themselves as they ducked by the grand windows and hopped up onto the porch.

julie rang the doorbell, not waiting a second before she looked through the window. her eyes widened and she quickly straightened up just before the door opened to reveal carrie with her hand on her hip.

"hey!" the girls said in synch.

carrie's lips twisted into a sneer, "what're you doing here?" she paused before asking, "how'd you get over the security gate?"

flynn, with her eyebrows raised, looked at the girls, "teamwork!"

"do you have a bandaid? the barbed wire's new." julie chuckled, showing her scratched up hands. gracie glanced down at her own fingers, happy that she was mostly cut on her arms, even some on her stomach from her cropped shirt, and not her hands where she'd have to hold her guitar.

"what do you want?" carrie sighed.

flynn jumped in, "uh... just thought you should know that julie's band is playing at the dance tonight!"

"now you know." gracie smiled too large to be normal.

carrie eyed the three before saying, "you guys are acting weirder than usual."

the girls exchanged glances before julie put her hand up with thin lips, "probably because we're thirsty."

"yeah." flynn hummed while gracie nodded solemnly.

"can we come in for a glass of water?" julie asked, already peering into the house.

"ugh! fine, if it'll make you leave faster." carrie left the door open and quickly made her way to the kitchen, "don't break anything!" she shouted as the girls entered.

gracie broke off from the other two to look down a hallway, "if you guys are still here..." she whispered, narrowing her eyes for any sign of movement. as she walked around, her eyes landed on all of the platinum records and awards hung up. they all left a bad taste in her mouth.

"where are you?" julie hissed, looking in the living room.

"i'm... i'm right here." nick answered from the couch. gracie whipped her head in their direction, watching as flynn and julie panicked.

the girls met eyes and gracie pointed to a separate hallway. she could hear the girls chuckling nervously, making up nicknames.

"nickster, nicky-poo, nickalicious..." gracie screwed up her face for a second before entering an office sort of room. she could already see that the guys weren't in there, but she shut the door behind her anyways.

it's not like she didn't believe the guys. not at all. but a part of her held pity for trevor... bobby. he lost all of his best friends on the same night that they were supposed to make it big. they would have been legends, and he was left all alone to try and make it by himself. still, anger fluttered in her chest for the boys at the thought that bobby didn't credit a single one of them. he could have at least said he was inspired by them, at the very least.

gracie grabbed at the first notebook she found and flipped through it. nothing out of the ordinary - mostly stuff from newer albums. she huffed, shuffling through papers on his desk.

please, give me something, anything that can prove it.

it seemed that somebody heard her thoughts and prayers because the first filing cabinet she opened seemed to be the most important.

carrie's birth certificate, social security cards, bills, checks, trevor's legal name change.

gracie grinned, pulling her phone out as she raised the file that clearly stated bobby's new name. she snapped a picture before she quickly put it all away and rushed to the doors.

when she got back to the living room, flynn was holding two glasses of water while ranting about types of juices.

"where were you?" carrie asked the girl, suspicion in her voice.

gracie looked over, her eyebrows raised, "hm? oh. oh, i was just in the uh, the bathroom." she nodded which carrie rolled her eyes at.

julie was gone, but with one fleeting glance at the stairs by flynn, gracie quickly understood.

"so, this is a really nice house, carrie. how'd your dad get started again? was he in a band... or, you know, anything?" gracie asked casually, her eyes moving around the room where more records were hung.

my name is luke, huh, that song title does make more sense.

"i don't know, maybe in high school. he doesn't talk about that, though. why does it matter?" she asked harshly.

gracie put her hands up, "woah there, i was just curious."

nick glanced between his girlfriend and the smiling girls before hesitantly saying, "so, have you always been a klutz?"

"excuse me?" flynn asked, not expecting it.

"because you spilt water!" gracie cut in. flynn awkwardly chuckled, slowly understanding.

"right... yeah, no my entire life."

gracie nodded, "you've always reminded me of a raccoon, you know how they fall around all the time?"

flynn's face lit up and she placed the glasses down, "i love raccoons! actually, one was just in my backyard. i was so confused, i was like - what is a raccoon doing in my backyard?"

julie snuck back down the stairs and pointed to the doors outside. flynn's eyes widened slightly and she scrambled for her phone, "you guys want to..." she wedged herself in between the couple on the couch making carrie roll her eyes, "see a photo of that?"

"it's just so cute!" flynn chuckled, showing mostly nick since carrie looked like she wanted to kill the girls.

gracie grinned, glancing out the window where she saw the guys... pulling their pants up?

she stammered before saying, "you know what? i actually just remembered that i have to go let my dog out. he's a little puppy - golden retriever. he's cute, wanna see?"

"i think we've seen enough animals for today." carrie put her hand up before gracie could even get her phone completely out.

gracie nodded with a smile, "your loss! well, see you guys at the dance!" flynn quirked a brow but gracie only sent a minuscule nod to the door which she understood quickly.

gracie rushed out of the house, a sigh escaping her lips once she could drop her large smile.

"but you have new songs. with us." julie was saying, gesturing back to gracie. the boys's eyes went up and luke's face crinkled in guilt.

"the best way to get back at trevor is for this band to do great." julie reminded them.

gracie nodded, joining her side, "she's right. and to do great, we have to play at dances, then clubs,"

"and tours, i know." luke cut her off, taking a step forward.

"i'll see you guys at the school. we go on at nine." julie sighed, walking towards the house.

gracie turned back to the boys, an anxious expression filling her face, "please don't be late. there's gonna be a lot of people there."

luke nodded, giving her a reassuring look, "we got it, alright? don't worry."

gracie sighed and nodded softly before walking towards the security gate. looking back on it, she should've slapped some sense into them somehow. maybe force them to follow her home so she could keep an eye on them. at least then they wouldn't have made the stupid decision they did afterwards.