sue me - sabrina carpenter

THE DRIVE TO SCHOOL WAS QUIET and gracie had no idea why. she attempted to make small talk with dylan, but he kept laughing nervously, not really reciprocating her tries. it wasn't until they parked and she sent him an awkward smile as she tried to leave that she understood.

"hey, so... gracie." he began, his fingers twirling his keys nervously.

the blonde turned to him, letting go of the car door, "yeah?"

he licked his lips, an action that brought a smile to the girl's face before she knew why. he looked at her with a confident look only for it to quickly crumple.

she tilted her head but he then said, "the garage party was really cool. you were great. the guys - i, i mean, you guys - you're gonna blow up. for sure."

she chuckled, "thanks. i appreciate it, but it wasn't that extraordinary."

he clicked his tongue, "you never know."

a soft silence filled the air before she asked, "is that it?"

dylan's fingers fidgeted with his keys and the chains on it faster, "um, yeah, no i actually - you're in calculus, right?"

she nodded slowly, "yeah?"

he nodded as well, "and i'm in geometry, which is lower than calculus."

"yeah, i took that last year with algebra two - you know how i applied for the extra." she explained.

he nodded quickly, "right, right. so since you're better at math than me, i was wondering if you could sorta tutor me?"

she paused, sighing softly, "i would, dylan - but with the band and my own classes, i'm not sure if i'll have any free time to spare. i'm sorry"

the brunet with the curls nodded again, "no, it's okay," he cleared his throat, "do you think you could find free time to maybe go on a date with me?"

gracie's eyes widened and she sat up slightly, "you wanna go on a date?"

he smiled slightly, "yeah, i mean... preferably with you."

she chuckled, looking away with raised brows, "i-i mean," she exhaled sharply, "dylan, this is all i wanted to hear... last year." he deflated like he expected it.

"lost my chance, huh?" he joked quietly.

she gave him a soft look, "i liked you a lot, but it wasn't the right time for you and you aren't the right person for me now."

he clicked his tongue, shrugging, "it's okay. i mean - i goofed with the prettiest girl in school - but hey, at least i can say she liked me at some point."

she chuckled, "sorry."

he shook his head, "don't apologize for how you feel, it's okay, really. so... i guess you like someone else? that boy in your band?"

she blushed, scrunching up her nose, "i-"

he grinned softly, "i hope it works out for you," she closed her mouth and smiled over at him, "and i hope this doesn't mean we're done with our drives? because that's kinda part of my schedule now."

she laughed, "of course not. thanks for being so understanding, dylan." she leaned over and kissed his cheek.

he blushed slightly, "way to rub salt in the wound, gracie."

she winced, "think of it like a kiss on a bandaid."

he opened his door and slid out with the girl following, "yeah, from a cut you created. i'm devastated and you just reminded me of what i could've had."

she grinned, pulling her bag on as he grabbed his, "join the club." she began to strut, her hands on her hips. he laughed at her extravagant model walk before she joined his side again. the pair walked into school with smiles on their faces, happy to have the other - as friends at least.

gracie and dylan split off after she forced him into a hug that he begrudgingly agreed to. she was smiling the whole way to flynn and julie, who each had smiles on their own faces.

"what was that?" flynn asked in a suggestive tone.

gracie sighed slightly, shaking her head fondly at the girl, "dylan asked me out on a date."

"oh my god?" julie squealed.

"yep! and -"

"he's so cute, i think you've won at life." flynn grinned, cutting the blonde off.

"i said no." gracie quickly rushed out, tugging on her hair.

"what?" the girls asked in synch.

gracie shrugged, "it's like what you said - this luke thing doesn't seem to be going away any time soon... and i really like dylan, he's a great friend, so why would i wanna waste his time?"

flynn smiled softly while julie gave the girl a similarly fond look gracie had just shown moments before. the girls turned to each other before julie said, "that's really mature, gracie."

"yeah, you're choosing to like someone who doesn't really exist, but you're all grown up!" flynn added.

gracie clicked her tongue, opening her locker, "but he does exist, to me," she turned to the girls, "and he might just be air, but we connect in so many other ways."

julie grabbed gracie's books and shut her locker so they could keep walking, "you guys are adorable."

"the most watchable duet-ers i've ever seen." flynn added, a finger pointed up.

gracie chuckled slightly, taking her books from julie's arms, "but it's not just singing. you know, when we write, we're drawing from the same pain..." she slowed, "we both know what it's like to feel taken for granted - we basically have the same home situation..." she sped up, "except i haven't run away."

flynn stopped the girl, "do not make me cry," gracie furrowed her brows before the girl continued, "i'm having a really good eyeliner day."

"i'm glad you and luke write for us... as much as i enjoyed doing it with my mom, it would hurt too much to pick it up again." julie said in a soft voice.

the blonde turned to her, "you should write the next song with us. seriously - stand tall is amazing, and that's because of what you contributed to it."

julie swayed her head, weighing her options, "okay, maybe... it was fun - but you guys were also a little insufferable. i can only third wheel for so long."

the blonde blushed before she shook her head and turned to flynn, "it's just that... luke's hurting so much. i wish i could help him." her mind flashed to his birthday, the day she watched him cry in his parents' home.

flynn's eyes lit up, "maybe you could write him a song! that would make him feel better!"

gracie straightened up, "oh my god! flynn, you're a genius!" she spun and immediately began to walk towards the exit.

she was about to pass by the office when julie shouted, "gracie, you have class!"

the blonde deflated before spinning and walking back to the girls, "right - like i said... genius."

the girls chuckled at her disappointed expression.