meddle about - chase atlantic

GRACIE STOOD WITH HER HANDS behind her back, playing with the pink strap that held her guitar. an uncomfortable silence unfolded in the room as everyone waited for the girls to speak up.

it wasn't until a member of the stage crew jogged to a spot a few feet from them asking, "hey, where'd the rest of the band go?" that gracie seemed to snap back to reality.

the girls exchanged a look, each silently demanding that the other answer him. suddenly kayla, the purple member of dirty candy and an acquaintance of gracie, spoke up, saying, "wait. were those holograms?"

gracie gasped softly as julie jumped at the opportunity, "yes! yes, those were holograms," gracie grinned at her, urging her to continue, "i plugged it into the ceiling projector before the show. i'd explain it, but it involves algorithms and science stuff." the girls fist bumped by their waists as the students applauded them again.

as they were, gracie let her eyes wander from a seething carrie to a smiling dylan and finally... to the boys. she bit her cheek, trying not to smile too widely when reggie hopped up onto the stairs and shook his butt around.

"ok people, shows over." principle lessa said, clapping her hands, "let's get back to class, please." the students listened, talking excitedly about the unannounced performance. gracie held her guitar as she sat on the edge of the stage beside julie.

"mrs. harrison, i'm so sorry for not asking for permission." julie immediately said, "i just wanted to show you i belong here."

mrs. harrison sighed, looking between the girls, "as amazing as that was... your spots already been filled by another student, julie." all three watched as a scrawny freshman pulled a cello down the stage steps aggressively, not caring for the well-being of the instrument much larger than him.

"come on, that thing is way too big for him." julie complained, throwing her arm out.

gracie watched the boy's figure retreat, wincing. mrs. harrison hesitated before saying, "he'll grow into it. i wish that i could help you, but my hands are tied."

principle lessa turned from watching her students exit to walk to the girls, "mine aren't, and as much as i didn't approve of this little stunt that you pulled, i will not go down in history as the principle who kicked julie molina out of the music program."

julie laughed, "thank you!"

principle lessa smiled at her, "but... when you win your first grammy, i want to be thanked."

"definitely." gracie laughed as julie thanked her again. the girls bumped shoulders in excitement before mrs. harrison hugged julie, congratulating her.

"wait!" julie suddenly stopped the women, sliding off the stage to meet up with them. gracie furrowed her eyebrows and followed slowly, careful of her guitar still strapped to her.

"what about gracie? this is an original song she wrote - and she sang the chorus, and the rest of the song. she just had help. we both did." gracie's eyebrows shot up at the lie that spilled from her lips with ease. and here she was, assuming the girl couldn't lie to save her life.

the women turned to each other before principle lessa said, "i'm not in charge of her grade, but i'd give her an 100, if i were you." with that, she walked out. a small smile flickered onto her face before gracie turned to mrs. harrison.

she sighed softly, "i'll reopen the assignment to give you an 100, like she said. but i'll now expect performances and pieces as well as the one you showcased today. good work."

"thank you, thank you, thank you! oh - does this mean you'll bring my course grade up? it's only a few points down, but i really think i deserve -"

"don't push it." mrs. harrison sent her an amused look before walking out.