a kiss - the driver era

JJ SCOBELL WAS SMART. he knew his sister pushed herself to the edge for others, but never for herself. he knew she had so many contacts in her phone and friends because all she did was help other people. he knew that she would do anything for family and friends - even the ones who wronged her in her past.

he also knew that she was sensitive and had dreams of her own. he knew that she preferred a quiet night with her having a concert in her room rather than go out to clubs or parties. he knew that all gracie wanted in life was to become a famous musician and singer. he knew that she wanted love like those cheesy 2000s movies she always cried to and like the romance books with the cartoony covers that she had piled in her room. he knew that gracie scobell would never put herself out there, though. it made him mad. it made him so unnecessary mad.

how was it fair that he was the only one to seem to see her for who she was? he hardly tried, and he saw everything about her. why couldn't anyone else?

maybe it was the built up anger that led him to force his sister to the molina's house in hopes she and julie molina would become closer. maybe that was the explanation for why he snuck out of his room the following day with nothing but a letter with chicken scratched handwriting and hopes.

jj had a rush of adrenaline as he pushed open the molina's garage after midnight, a grin on his face and his shaky hands gripping a short letter. not that he knew it, of course, but the ghosts of julie's new band stared at gracie's younger brother in confusion and concern. they were in the middle of talking about his sister and how to get her to join the band when jj tip-toed into the studio with an evil eleven year old smile on his face.

"what the -" alex mumbled, watching the boy reread his paper, nodding along to his own writing. reggie and luke shared a look of amusement before the latter hopped up from the couch.

"what's up, jj?" luke asked like the boy could hear him. jj hummed happily, crossing the room to the grand piano where he placed the letter onto the wooden surface. he then turned slowly, facing luke who's eyes widened.

"can he see -"

jj unknowingly cut luke off by humming the mission impossible theme song, walking through the ghost and hopping around. reggie grinned when jj ducked and rolled like he was avoiding laser beams. he quietly closed the garage doors, immediately prompting the boys to burst into laughter.

"i love that family." reggie chuckled, sighing softly.

alex shook his head with a smile, "what'd he write?"

luke picked up the letter, his eyes narrowing, "huh, he has really similar handwriting to me."

"he's eleven, that's not something to be proud of." alex rolled his eyes. luke shot him a look before he read the words, his eyes lighting up.

dear julie,

hi im jj. i cant do it myself but can you sign gracie up to sing at this cafe? tell her its small and no one will even be there so she doesn't have to yarf all over herself. its chill and she has a really good voice. i did research all night, please dont let my failed math test be for nothing.

ty, jj

luke's smile filled his entire face as he flipped the paper to see a flyer taped to the back.

"what does it say?" reggie asked as he and alex jumped up to look over luke's shoulder.

alex scoffed, "she'd kill us all over again."

"well, you know julie would tell her about it before she signed her up." luke retorted.

"because she's a good friend." alex snatched the letter from the shorter.