alive - one direction

"YOU'LL HAVE TO REAPPLY NEXT SEMESTER." were not the words gracie was hoping to hear as she walked into the music class. julie and flynn turned back, disappointment written all over their features.

flynn managed a small smile as the girls passed her, but julie was left walking with her head slightly ducked. gracie paused, watching their retreating figures.

"is there something you'd like to speak about?" mrs. harrison asked, organizing and neatening her rolling desk.

gracie turned, "um, yea... i know - i know that i didn't exactly follow my instructions or word for the composition, but why did i receive a 68? that's a failing grade."

mrs. harrison sighed, turning, "gracie, you have a beautiful voice and incredible talent. watching you play is like watching an artist paint a masterpiece... but most of the grade was based on stage presence and your talent. it was supposed to be a time to show what you're best at. everyone in my class has different strengths, but you have so many, gracie."

gracie furrowed her eyebrows, "so you failed me... because i have talent?"

mrs. harrison shook her head, "i failed you because you didn't show your talent. you told me you'd sing an original chorus piece, which you didn't. and while the song was beautiful, you didn't look up once. this class is supposed to help you adjust to your strengths and better your weaknesses, if you don't try and step out of your comfort zone - that won't happen."

gracie frowned, tugging on her hair as she thought, "so... can i retake it? redo the comp?"

mrs. harrison gave her a pitying look, "that unit has closed, gracie. it was a midterm - no retakes."

the bell rang and people instantly flowed into the empty classroom. gracie stared off for a second before nodding and turning on her heel.

"gracie," the blonde paused, looking over her shoulder, "as long as you show me that you're doing your best, you will never fail an assignment in my class." gracie nodded, pulling a strained smile onto her face before she left.

gracie sat in the music room of the elementary school by her house, greeting the second graders who wandered in.

"ms. gracie!" a few of them gasped in excitement. she waved, her nose scrunched up from her smile.

"what are we singing today?" a little boy known as charlie asked. he was the so called 'cool kid' and at first refused to sing at all - but soon enough gracie was able to change his attitude through a pizza party.

the girl hummed, watching as the class settled into cross-legged seating positions, "well, i was thinking we could sing a song called 'wildest dreams' does anybody know that one?"

"of course!" "yeah." "aw, man why's it always taylor swift?" "cause she's awesome"

those were the responses that erupted into the room making the girl chuckle softly. she sat down at the grand piano, saying, "this is just for the first half. i have a special song for the second portion." the kids immediately began to get riled up, trying to figure out what it could be.

"alright, guys. come on. repeat after me, okay?"

the first half of class continued as it always had with the teen teaching the kids the song as she played it on piano, correcting them whenever needed. it wasn't until she had thirty minutes left that she was wrapping it up and a whoosh sounded through the room.

gracie, oblivious to the ghost watching her, played the chords to the piano as she sang, "♪ say you'll remember me standing in a nice dress ♪ staring at the sunset, babe ♪ red lips and rosy cheeks ♪ say you'll see me again ♪ even if it's just in your ♪" she stopped singing to give the kids their own spotlights, nodding along to their high-pitched voices meshing. she was trying to contain her laughter at how poorly some of them sounded, looking down at her fingers as she played the song she learned five years prior.

luke stood in the corner of the music class, a smile on his lips as he watched her. he was just trying to find the girl to... well, talk, he supposed. he had no clue how he knew where she was, either, somehow he just did. and now, here he was, watching the blonde sing and play effortlessly.

she finished the song and clapped for the second graders, "yay! good job, guys!"

the kids broke into chatter before she shushed them lightly, "alright... who wants to learn the surprise song, now?"

they immediately got excited again, loudly talking over each other. gracie smiled, grabbing her acoustic before she pulled out the piano bench to sit upon it again.

luke watched her curiously, wondering if this was considered stalking.

"this song is special because i don't know who wrote it." gracie explained softly, making the class ask question after question, "guys, guys. calm down. liz?" she pointed on a little red head who had her hand up silently.

"how do you not know?" she asked, blushing deeply at the eyes on her.

gracie smiled softly before answering, "when i was in fifth grade, a very special lady taught me this song. she was an amazing singer... but, she never told me who wrote it. i looked and looked but i could never find the artist or band. lucky for you guys, i have a very good memory and i know how it goes. wanna hear it before you guys learn it?"

the class erupted into 'yes's making her smile and look down at the guitar. luke, from leaning against the wall, immediately straightened up when her fingers strummed a pattern of chords he instantly recognized. gracie chuckled lightly before singing, "♪ my mother told me i should go and get some therapy ♪ i asked the doctor, 'can you find out what is wrong with me?' ♪" the kids giggled at her expressions.

somehow, luke noticed in amazement, gracie was able to sing his song, the song he wrote about himself, the song that she'd never heard the band play, exactly how he wanted it to be. she knew exactly the chords and pauses to take and the exact tone he would use when he sang it.

"'♪ i don't know why i wanna be with every girl i meet ♪ i can't control it, yeah, i know it's taking over me ♪ i'm going crazy ♪ can't contain it ♪'" she scrunched her nose up, grinning softly, "'♪ so tell me just what i should do?' ♪ she said, 'hey, it's alright ♪ does it make you feel alive? ♪ don't look back, live your life ♪ even if it's only for tonight' ♪"

"oh my god." luke mumbled to himself, feeling his breath leave his throat as he watched her. gracie continued to play the entire sunset curve song, unknowingly showing a connection she had to the boys. the kids loved her, that was easy to see, and luke was beginning to understand why. she was so enchanting - every aspect of her. luke knew nothing about the girl and yet he felt himself go crazy at the thought of her. he craved to know her - her life, her fears, her loves, her family, her goals, her dreams, her mind, her body. he exhaled shakily before poofing away, unable to watch any longer.