Serendipity

Jake was back in his grey mood. As if he had been dumped again. He and his friends were suddenly very busy with work, so it was hard to imagine they'd go out again anytime soon.

At this rate, Jake had no chance of ever catching a glimpse of Jungwon.

He tried to recall Jungwon's profession, and if he ever evoked where he worked. He harassed Jay for more info about the way he met Jungwon. But in vain. Jungwon was a ghost.

"I never realized you were so passionate about this guy," said Sunghoon, one of Jake's colleagues and former high school classmates.
"Back then I thought you pitied him, that's why you invited him to eat with us."

"Jungwon had nothing to be pitied for. He's the coolest person I know."

"Well, now, yes. He sure got his glow up. I couldn't take my eyes off him the other night. The biker and wide shoulders combo was outstanding."

Jake frowned and cut,

"Anyway. You see what I mean."

"Why do you want to meet him so badly tho? He doesn't work in our field, so much for networking."

"We were very good friends in highschool, why would I not want to link up with him again?" replied Jake, irritated.

"Is that so."

Jake wasn't realizing how obviously obsessed he was with Jungwon, but he was dying to experience this exhilarating feeling he would get in Jungwon's presence again.

After weeks of overtime and inexistant social life, Jake was ready to give up on ever meeting Jungwon again.

That's when his prayers got answered.

On a Tuesday night at 11pm, during overtime, Jake was out to the convenience store down his office building, in sweat pants, flipflops, stained shirt and his hair tied up palm tree style. He looked proud with his eye bags hidden behind his heavy framed glasses. That's when finally, he came face-to-face with Jungwon.

At first, Jake thought he was hallucinating. But it really was Jungwon, standing in front of him, out buying gums and soda in the middle of the night.

Jake was quick to untie his hair and straighten up before shouting in the middle of the convenient store,

"Jungwon! What are you doing here!?"

Jungwon seemed just as taken aback about this impromptu meeting.

"Jake? Wh- Do you live around here?"

Jake calmed down a little, cleared his throat and answered,

"I work in the building across the street. We're in a tough period at work, so I'm doing overtime right now."

"This seem tough. How unexpected to meet here at this hour."

"This must be fate," laughed Jake.

Jungwon's face brightened up a little.

"Yes...," he replied.

Jake couldn't stop smiling.

Looking at these huge surprised eyes made Jake realize that he couldn't let this opportunity pass again.

"You know, I've been trying to contact you since that day. Now that I have you here, let's exchange numbers!" he explained, taking out his phone.
Jungwon couldn't refuse and took out his phone in turn to exchange contact info.
"Oh, let's plan something too. Are you free this Sunday? I know a good coffee shop with a nice view."

Carried away by Jake's pace, Jungwon accepted. He even let Jake enter the date and time in his calendar.

"Pfiou! I feel so relieved," let out Jake. "I felt so helpless not being able to get in touch with you after that night. Now, I'm not letting you go haha!"
Jungwon smiled, it was hard to tell if he was happy or burdened, but Jake was too blinded by his joy anyway.
"Oh, I really have to go. My colleagues are gonna kill me!

Jungwon nodded, still unable to keep up with Jake's energy. But then, Jake gently took his hand, making him slightly jump.

Their eyes met and Jake declared in a soft voice,

"I'm very happy that I met you again tonight."

Jake stared at him with a smile for a good second, before saying goodbye again and leaving the store for good.

Watching him walk back across the street, Jungwon felt himself blush.

"You're being unfair..."