Date after date

The day after their date went exactly the same way as their first night together. But this time, Jake had Jungwon's number.

Jake wasn't desperate anymore, but it didn't mean he wasn't anxious. Jungwon was very hard to get a hang of. He would always say he had very few free days and he couldn't meet Jake during the week.

All that Jake was hoping for was to spend a little time with him, but Jungwon always seemed to wait to have more than a little time, which was frustrating.

Jake had a hard time communicating what he wanted, but thankfully, Jungwon hadn't become a total ghost again. He did accept another date.

Jake did way better for his second time, and the day ended the same way as their first date. Then, after another long time of convincing, he got his third date.

After that, the little duo reached their cruising speed and started seeing each other more regularly.

Jungwon was still a mystery impossible to break down, but the little information Jake could get every time they met was enough to keep him obsessed.

At first, Jake didn't really question their relationship, since he was too busy trying to convince Jungwon to join him on a date and fawn over him. However, it all clicked when, by "chance", he saw Jungwon hang out with a girl who looked a little too much like a girlfriend.

Jake did nothing to hide his fallen face when he crossed Jungwon's eyes.

"Jungwon...what a surprise," Jake exclaimed on a monotonous tone, loud enough for the whole street to hear him.

"Jungwon, who is this?" asked the girl with a small voice.

Jungwon patted her arm as reassurance and took Jake aside.

"What's up with you?"

Jake opened eyes wide and replied,

"What's wrong with you?? You never told me you had a girlfriend!"

Jungwon marked a pause, looking at Jake with an inscrutable expression.

"Jake. We never said we were being exclusive you and me."

Maybe Jungwon had wanted it to make it sound like a question, but Jake didn't realize. He was just too shocked by the fact.

In fact, Jungwon and him never defined their relationship. Maybe the reason Jungwon was so hard to invite was because he never wanted all this. Maybe he hoped they'd never see each other again after their reunion. Maybe Jake was a total bother to him.

They were just a casual relationship after all. The logical development of a distant habit from high school. A practice.

"Jake?" called Jungwon, since he wasn't answering.

"Y- you're right," Jake finally said with a fake smile.
"We never said we were exclusive, haha. I simply got surprised, but it explains why you're so hard to reach all the time."

Jungwon stayed silent. He did not seem so happy about Jake's reply.

Or, was he sad?

Jake did not see Jungwon's reaction anyway. He was too busy avoiding his gaze, feeling stupid for misunderstanding everything.

He stuttered,
"I'm sorry! I bothered you! I won't call you out again! I-"

Jungwon had grabbed his sleeve.

"Let's meet this weekend," he simply said.

And just like that, Jake's day was made.

*

Jake felt wrong about this all non-exclusive arrangement, but the thought of not being able to meet Jungwon at all was worse.

They kept meeting on the same schedule for the following weeks.

But every time they would meet, Jake's mind would spiral, imagining Jungwon with other people.

Jake tried to have more dates with Jungwon, to keep him from meeting new people, but the latter was as cold and unavailable as ever.

It was driving Jake insane.

The worse thing about all that, was that Jungwon seemed to stray even further away from Jake.