Chapter 8 - "I see it takes very little to impress you."

Lucien had immediately moved forwards towards Evette once she passed out, and had picked her up and taken her to her room. That had been hours earlier - and he was still sat in her room - as she was still yet to awake. He had some water for her for when she did wake up.

He hated that he had to watch that - he had to watch his friend get tortured to protect her friend simply because of what she was. He hated that he had to watch Rhys torture her.

He had been sat there for hours before she began to stir, and he was instantly stood from where he was sat on the floor, with his back against the edge of her bed. He grabbed the water and watched as her eyes fluttered open slowly, groaning softly as she did.

Evette's eyes focussed and her brows furrowed softly. "Lucien?" She whispered, her voice horribly hoarse.

Lucien sat down on the bed beside her and lifted the cup of water to her lips, and he helped her drink it. Once she pulled away from the cup, he set it down on the bedside before he faced her. Evette relaxed against the pillow and closed her eyes as she began to register the agonising ache and the pain that rushed through her mind at any movement or thought.

"What can I do to help?" Lucien asked her softly.

"Nothing." Evette whispered softly, opening her eyes. "My mind hurts. My head hurts. It hurts more than anything...even having thoughts hurt." She explained her pain to him as her voice cracked and broke, while unshed tears shone in her eyes.

Lucien shook his head softly and frowned. "Stay still." He told her. "I...I'll try and heal you the best I can." Lucien reached forwards and gently laced his fingers through her hair and placed his fingers upon her scalp. Evette winced sharply at the contact - and because she was hit by his anger and admiration for her as he did.

Slowly, the pain she felt over her mind began to fade as he ran his fingers through her hair, and she felt a wave of relief as he did. The ache in her mind was still there - but she thought that it was at least a little bearable. Better than having the pain as well as the ache. Evette had never been so grateful for Lucien's presence before now.

"Thank you, Lucien." Evette whispered softly to the man, as her eyes closed once more, and her exhaustion hit her like a freight train. Slowly, Evette began to fall asleep, and Lucien continued to heal her until she had done so. Once she fell asleep, he removed his hands from her head, and he stood. He looked down at her and found he held such admiration for her - the fact that she refused to give Amarantha the truth even as she was tortured...it made him admire her.

Not many would've done the same as her. He knew that was a fact. Lucien left her room and allowed her to sleep - he was sure she deserved it after the day she had had.

For most of the next day, Evette stayed in her room and Lucien joined her when he could - bringing her food and water. The ache in her mind stayed for the entire day - though it was better than the day before. The two of them didn't speak much about their current situation - most especially not about her torture. She mainly spoke to him - she asked him to tell her anything and everything he could about Prythian and their current High Lord's - most especially Rhys. She wanted to know every detail he knew about that man.

But to her disappointment he knew very little. It did very little for her need and thirst for revenge on him - she knew she was going to make Rhys pay for the torture he put her through.

However, unfortunately for Evette, her torment was not yet over. As the very next day after that one, she was called and dragged back to the throne room. And she knew that is was not good for her at all - she didn't expect to walk out unharmed. And she knew more torture upon her mind was very likely - which really pissed her off as the ache along her mind had just started to fade - as she would not give Amarantha what she wanted. From her loyalty to Feyre, and to Tamlin.