Chapter 12 - "We have a little more to discuss."

"Two trials lie behind you. And only one more awaits. I wonder if it will be worse to fail now - when you are so close." Amarantha mused to Feyre as everyone had gathered around, sounding so smug as usual. Only a few red-skinned Fae laughed at her remark - eveyone else had remained quiet. Even Lucien's brothers, Evette mused to her herself as she glanced over at them. As she did, she caught Eris' gaze, and he smirked at her. She rolled her eyes and looked away from him.

"Any words to say before you die?" Amarantha asked Feyre.

Feyre only looked towards Tamlin. "I love you." Feyre told him. "No matter what she says about it, no matter if it's only with my insignificant human heart. Even when they burn my body, I'll love you."

As Evette stared at Tamlin, she saw something odd. It was like rippling around him. "A glamour." Elexina whispered to her. "It's one of those hideous flying creatures." An Attor, Evette realised quickly upon seeing its absence.

She found this would be quite a revelation to Feyre. She felt sorry for her, and wondered where exactly Tamlin was.

"You'll be lucky, my darling, if we even have enough left of you to burn." Amarantha said into the silence of the room. "You never figured out my riddle, did you? Pity. The answer is so lovely."

"Get it over with." Feyre simply replied.

Amarantha looked to her side to Tamlin. "No last words to her?" She asked, and of course since it wasn't truly him, nothing was said. "Very well, then." Amarantha clapped her hands twice, and a door across the way opened. Three figures emerged from the door and walked into the room - two were male, and one was female. Each of them had a sack tied over their heads as they were dragged along by guards. The three of them were forced to their knees.

Amarantha clapped her hands once more, and then three servants entered the room and moved to stand beside each of the Fae that were on their knees upon the floor. Each servant held a velvet pillow, that had an ash blade.

"Your final task, Feyre." Amarantha announced. "Stab each of these unfortunate souls in the heart. They're innocent - not that it should matter to you since it wasn't a concern the day you killed Tamlin's poor sentinel. And it wasn't a concern for dear Jurian when he butchered my sister. But if it's a problem...well, you can always refuse. Of course, I'll take your life in exchange, but a bargain's a bargain, is it not?" Amarantha paused and Evette swore it was simply for dramatic effect. "If you ask me, though, given your history with murdering our kind, I do believe I'm offering you a gift."

She paused once more and waited for Feyre's response, or even for Feyre to move. Yet she didn't. "Well?" Amarantha demanded before she lifted her hand that held the ring with an eye inside. "I wouldn't want you to miss this, old friend." She spoke to the eye, and Evette wondered if the eye could hear her or not. Since it had no ears.

Evette, and everyone else in the room, watched as Feyre killed the first two Fae. And though she did it - she really struggled to do so. Evette watched it all happen with a wince - it wasn't exactly pretty. Especially as the first begged for his life, and the second simply accepted her fate and prayed.

However, when the third hood was removed, everyone saw that it was Tamlin, and the Attor was revealed to be the Tamlin beside Amarantha. The Attor grinned wickedly at Feyre, and Evette pulled a face of utter disgust. She really hated the Attor and it's kind. They were nasty creatures.

Feyre stumbled back a few steps from Tamlin, her eyes wide. "Something wrong?" Amarantha questioned.

"Not...not fair."

"Fair?" Amarantha repeated. "I wasn't aware you humans knew of the concept. You kill Tamlin, and he's free. And then you can have him all to yourself. Unless you think it'd be more appropriate to forfeit your life. After all: what's the point? To survive only to lose him? Imagine all those years you were going to spend together...suddenly alone. Tragic, really." Evette had to admit that Amarantha really showcased what many of the Fae were like. Devious. Cunning. Cruel.