Part 14

-y/n's POV-

We've been flying for a few hours now I think, Grian still hasn't said much, I'm assuming that it's because of what he told me about when we left Scar. He's probably hurting inside right now but I really don't want to pry too much so I'll just try be as comforting as possible. I grabbed his hand which was outstretched while flying and gave it a short squeeze to remind him that I was here.

"I really don't know where we're going to stop next so we might spend a night at an inn somewhere before Pearl's place." He said. I just nodded along, enjoying the wind in my face and hair. It was almost completely dark now so any lights from sparse houses in-between the farming fields looked like twinkling stars.

"Grian, Pearl's house, there's not going to be lots of hunters there right?" I asked after a while, I don't think I could handle that again.

"Yes, Pearl actually lives in a hybrid-run town so we'll be free to roam the place!" He thankfully replied.

"How did you meet her? I'm getting kind of bored on this long flight so feel free to talk off my ear!" I said, while Grian chuckled.

"Well we actually met through Scott! She came to his hostel once on a journey and we became good friends! She's like my sister that lives like a million miles away now! She lives in the middle of nowhere on the border of the farming faction and the redstone district." He rambled on and on about funny situations, with myself occasionally chiming in with a comment usually resulting in belly-aching laughter. Soon enough I started to become sleepy and began to nod off, though not completely out of consciousness when I felt a kiss planted on the back of my head. I was too tired to even get flustered so I fell asleep just smiling to myself.

-Grian's POV-

I was pretty sure y/n was asleep when I kissed her head, but to be honest, I wouldn't mind if she wasn't. Dropping hints to make confessing easier seemed like a good idea before, but putting it into practice confidently was much more difficult than expected.

I also don't think we're going to get to Pearl's till tomorrow evening so maybe a quick pit stop is needed.

-Time Skip To Morning-

-Grian's POV-

y/n had woken up at this point, the sun was already out and the next day had begun. Definitely feeling tired and in need of a rest I decided on stopping at a nearby river to give my wings a much needed break.

"Grian? Why are we slowing down? Is something wrong?" I heard y/n say below me.

"Just taking a bit of a break by the river down there, to maybe wash up a bit and eat something." I replied while descending slowly, being careful to make a better landing as not to hurt y/n's knee, it's still finishing healing. Taking off the harness connecting the two of us I sighed in relief that my wings could finally rest for a bit.

"I'm going to wash up a little, I'll be back in a bit!" She said, walking off and giving me a quick wave before disappearing into the trees.

-y/n's POV-

I skipped off towards a different part of the river, eager to wash off the dirt and stink from traveling. The sky was clear, the air was fresh and the sound of rustling leaves was creating lovely background noise from the wind. The atmosphere was so peaceful that I couldn't help but smile. I started to take off my shoes, rolling up my jean legs and taking of my T-shirt, leaving my white tank top. I dipped my toes in the moving water to get a feel for the temperature. It was definitely cold, but it's manageable. Wading in feels lovely as the cool sensation travels through my whole body and I eventually start to scrub my arms, face and hands the best I could with a small bar of soap from my messenger bag. eventually I just gave up on trying to keep the rest of myself dry and sat down in the middle of a shallow spot, rinsing my hair and running my fingers through it, trying to get out the tangles.

Once I'd finished cleaning myself I stood up from the water, the feeling of wet denim on my skin was less than pleasant but I'll soldier through, a little stroll along the river quickly distracted me from that anyways. While I was walking a particular glimmer in the water caught my eye.

"What could that be?" I whispered to myself.

I stepped closer and plunged my arm into the water to pick the object up. Up came a shiny turquoise rock, with darker wavy stripes in a repeating pattern. My eyes immediately lit up with an idea. The book! It had said that Avians like receiving small trinkets to add to their nests. Now I'd already gone over the fact with myself that Grian didn't have a nest, but I don't think that would change instincts right? Pocketing the stone I picked up my bag, shoes and shirt and walked back to where I had previously left Grian.

-Grian's POV-

I had begun washing my wings already, taking careful notice to not bend the larger feathers. It hurts if you're not gentle. I quickly got pissed off at my wet shirt clinging to my body as I poured water over the feathery appendages attached to my back so I tore off the wet fabric, immediately feeling better when free of the sensory problem. As I was standing to retrieve it when I'd finished though, a slightly... soggy? y/n came clambering through the bushes and stopped in shock. I was slightly confused until I realized she was staring at my bare torso with a twinge of pink to her cheeks. I rushed to grab my wet shirt and put it back on, I guess it didn't do much seeing as it was see through from being sopping but there's no way in hell I'm putting my sweater over it in this heat so oh well.

"How was the water?" She asked me, putting down the things she was carrying and taking a seat on the grass beside me.

"Really nice, it feels good to be clean." I said, sitting down with her. We sat in comfortable silence, occasionally glancing at each other. She looked ethereal, sun shining on her wet y/h/c locks and glistening eyes. I could stare at her all day and still not run out of new features to marvel at. She caught me staring and shot a pretty, warm smile at me before reaching into her pocket.

"I found something for you while I was out! It's not much compared to this." She started, pointing to the bracelet on her wrist. "But I saw it and thought you'd like it!" Her hand opened to reveal a shining piece of prismarine. A familiar feeling clouded my head. Brushing off the instincts I plucked the stone from her palm, I couldn't stop staring at it! My heart felt like it was going to burst. I don't know if she understands the meaning of gifts like this, I mean, how could she? She had never even met an Avian before me, but the gift gave me hope. She really looked so happy to be presenting me with the rock so maybe, just maybe, she understands the meaning, and I have a chance.

"I love it so much! Thank you!" I exclaimed, with a smile so wide that it hurt my cheeks. Pulling her into a hug I thumbed over the smooth surface of the prismarine and closed my eyes in contentment.

-y'n's POV-

He seemed to really enjoy the stone! It was adorable how his face lit up with joy. If every stone I found made him that happy, I'd give him every one in this river. However, something tells me that it's not as special the second time. Once we had both dried off he stood up, dusting off his pants.

"Alright, if we're going to get to Pearl's before sundown we have to get going, gather your things and I'll get the harness." He said, walking over to the rock where he had slung the rest of his stuff. I put my shoes back on and walked over to the winged man. He routinely strapped us back together and we took off again, happy from our little river excursion. We'd be at our next stop soon enough.

-A/N-

this took a while, but it is a pretty long chapter so I hope that makes up for it. Also, if anyone has any advice or critiques I'd love to hear them, improving this story is something I'm always looking to do. :D

1475 Words