".... Did you just assume my gender?"

(Y/n and H/n's current ages - 12/13 years old)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wasted no second whatsoever the moment I heard the devine sound of the bells ringing, indicating that the lessons were over for the day, before I already shoved all my books and stuff inside my school bag carelessly.

What a boring, long never-ending day at school... Well, at least it was Friday!

I then proceeded to get up, after pushing my chair backwards and exiting the class.

"So...." The voice of my friend called, who appeared next to me with a warm smile. "Have you already found a partner for this chemistry presentation for Wednesday?"

I groaned a bit and rubbed my face, "Ugh, I totally forgot about this stupid project..." I then sighed and looked at her. "Well, since my brother is not in the same classes as me, I can not think of another better person to do this with other than you, Yuzuha."

She gave me one of those pretty smiles of her and I would have thought about how pretty she was, if it was not for that bandage over her cheek..
I asked her earlier what was up with that, and she told me that she had another 'accident' and fell down and hit her cheek and bandaged it.. But I was getting worried. She seemed to be having quite a lot of injuries on her, either bandaged or covered with make-up. I did not know what to make of it, but I could not ask further. After all, even though we were great friends so far, I had known Yuzuha for hardly four months and I did not feel like she was comfortable enough with me to.... possibly open up more and actually tell me the truth about these 'frequent accidents' that always left her bandaged up and hurt.

"Great!" She cheered, "So.... Could we meet up at your house tomorrow to begin with the project?" Yuzuha asked. I hummed with doubt, "Well... my dad has been running a fever these past few days and he is resting at home, so I don't know if it's a good idea..."

"Oh," Yuzuha said, "Of course, that's fine-" "How about your house?" The moment I requested that, Yuzuha's face went a bit cold and she suddenly looked nervous and doubtful. She held the hems of her school bag and stared down at her feet as we walked. "We've never been to each other's houses before so far, I think it would be nice. When my dad gets well, I promise to bring you to my house one day. The computers of the libraries here are too slow and bad for use, so I doubt there's a lot of options for us besides your house... Unless we can think of another way?" I questioned her, sensing her discomfort.

She swallowed harshly. "N-No," She cleared her throat, "It's-It's fine.... I'll just.... ask... My brother if he allows me to invite someone over." Yuzuha mumbled. I stared at her, kicking a small rock on the way. "Your brother?"

Yuzuha looked at me, not smiling anymore. "I've told you about my brother Hakkai before, haven't I?" She questioned. I nodded. She did talk to me about her younger brother, who was one year younger than her that was super shy and awkward around girls, but I didn't know more about him. "Well, he's not the only brother I have. We also have an elder brother... Taiju. Taiju Shiba." Yuzuha told me. ".... He is the one raising us. So... I need his permission to invite someone over." She said.

"Oh...." I mumbled, staring at her before looking around us, staring at the houses, the trees and everything as I considered her words. Obviously, it was surprising to hear that Yuzuha and her sibling were raised by their elder brother who was also around my age, we probably had like, one or two years difference between us. She had never mentioned anything about her parents... And I was not nosy enough to ask more, perhaps she was not comfortable talking about them and I would feel terrible asking too personal questions.