Chapter 4 - Surfing

After we finished unpacking everything, all 3 of us lay down sprawled on the couch.

"Ugh, we have too much stuff in this house!" Mouse complains.

"No, YOU have a lot of stuff." I say. Mouse scoffs, and Jesse holds his laughter.

It's now 10:12 p.m., and Jesse is still here. He says he's too tired to go to sleep. Whatever that means, ha. Mouse said Jesse could stay the night, and then they'd go to work together the next morning and obviously bring me. (I promise I'm not spoiled.) I gotten quite close to Jesse, and we have a lot in common. Piercing blue eyes, love for surfing, dumb. A thought came into my head.

"Hey, Mouseee.... yesterday you were rambling, but I caught that you said I could go surfing with Jess. Is that true?" I say hopeful.

"Yeah, I've thought about it, and I think I need to give you some freedom. After all, you're only a child once." He smiles.

"REALLY! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!" I say, giving him the biggest hug ever.

"O..kay, can't... breathe.." Mouse says struggling fir air

"Oops, sorry."

~~~

I wake up in the middle of the night hearing a loud bang out in the front yard. Mouse and Jesse are asleep in his room. I didn't want to wake either of them up, so I hesitantly looked out my window. "Nothing." I say to myself. I brush it off and go back to bed.

Later, I hear the same noise. "What is that?" I whisper to myself. I walk out of my room, scared. The house is dark. Nothing around. No sounds. Quiet as a Mouse. (See what I did there.) I hear the noise again and jump. I grab a cricket bat from the couch and walk to the front door. Slowly, I begin opening up the door. It creeks in the silent night. Quickly opening, I look around. Nothing. I walk outside and to the sides and back of the house. Still nothing.

At this point, I'm so confused. I shrug. All I hear now is the howling of the wind and the wind chimes clinking together. Odd.

~~~

"Lizzy! Come on! We're gonna be late." Mouse yells.

I jumped up from bed and realized I slept in. I stumbled around my room, looking for clean clothes to wear. I throw them on and slide into the kitchen, grabbing and apple with tying up my hair.

"Did you just get up?" Jesse asks.

I smile cheekily. They laugh, and we rush into the car.

As we drive to Bondi, I think of the mysterious noise I heard last night. What could it have been? Couldn't have been anything large? Perhaps a cat? Maybe it was a - "Lizzy! Earth to Lizzy!" I hear Mouse yell. I snap out of my thoughts, confused. "Come on, we're here."

I grab my bag and surfboard from out of the trunk. It was a warm day, but not too warm, maybe about 25 degrees. The surf isn't too big either, maybe 4 or 5 feet. Just how I like it. Walking into the lifeguard tower, I take in the scenery and salty scents of Bondi. I really do love the beach, I don't know what I'd do without it. I smile to myself. We greeted the boys on duty today, which was Beardy, Mouse, Jesse, Azza, and Jackson. I haven't met those guys yet, so I got to meet them all. I love meeting new people, but I am quite shy.

"We see photos of you on social media. You are a very cute girl, you know?" Beardy says with one foot on a chair and a protein bar in the other.

"I know!" I smile bragging.

The boys laugh, and I laugh with them.  Hoppo comes in and gives everyone their positions for the first shift. Mouse isn't in the tower for the first shift, so I'd thought I'd go for a surf. (Where Mouse can see me, of course) My surfboard is mainly white with a thick pink striped and a thick blue stripe, and David Hassehoffs signature from when I met him at Tamarama when I was younger.

I feel the cold water hit my face as it wakes me up. I love the morning water, crispy, clean, and fresh. I paddle out using all the strength I have since I'm impatient. I get out to a good area and wait for a good wave. A 5-foot wave looms behind me, and I paddle as fast as I can. Once I'm up on the wave, I stand up, feeling the breeze of the wind. I close my eyes, enjoying every moment. Just before I get trampled by another surfer.

"I'm so sorry! Here, let me help you." The mystery boy says.

I laugh, pushing my brunette hair out of me face. I see a cute, blonde haired boy, deep blue eyes, and lots of Freckles sitting on his board reaching out his hand. My heart flutters.

I quickly fixed myself up, which still ended up me looking like a drowned rat.

"Thank you so much! I wasn't looking where I was going, haha." I say nervously.

"Nah, it's all good! I'm just glad you're okay." He says, his hand still in mine from him pulling me back onto my board.

I stare into his gorgeous eyes, twinkling in the sunlight. He stares back. I felt connected to this mystery boy. I didn't know who he was or where he lives but I wanted to kiss him so badly. Sorry, too far?

"Uh, sorry." He says sheepishly. I snap out of my trance.

"See you around?" He says with a smile.

"Y-yeeah, see you around." I say, watching his toned, pale, muscular body walk off.

Dang it. Why didn't I ask his name or number. Ugh. I just made a fool of myself. I mentally slap myself. A bit disappointed, I walk back to shore to NOT make a fool of myself again.

~~~

Not too much happens down at Bondi today, a few rescues, and a fish hook caught in someone's leg. But nothing to major. I sat in the tower most of the day thinking about who that mystery boy was. Every time I think about him, my stomach does that weird cartwheel thing. I hate myself that I didn't ask who he was. I was too embarrassed and flustered to even talk to him.

A bit later, Jesse and I head down into the surf.

"I'm so glad I have someone to surf with." I say.

None of my friends like surfing except for one friend, so It was great to have another.

"Of course, I'd give anything to find another surfing buddy!" He snickered.

We both paddle put into the waves, far enough out. I see a wave coming. "This one's yours!" Jesse says. I smile, knowing this is my chance to prove what I know. I get on the wave and paddle as fast as I can.

~~~

After a few hours of surfing with Jesse and Mouse, we head back to our apartment, exhausted.

"You did great out there today, love!" Mouse says. I smile.

"Mouse, thanks so much for letting me go surfing with Jesse. See, no one got hurt, and we had a blast! I say.

"You're welcome, and I'm sorry I've been such a buzz kill lately. It's just that after everything that happened with mom, I'm afraid of losing you too." He says, putting his head down.

We sit on the couch.

"I know, and I'm still rattled from what happened with mom. But I won't let my happiness be overuled by something I don't need to dwell on." I smile. "And besides, you're not getting rid of me that quickly!" I say laughing and running off the couch.

Mouse comes running into my bedroom and tackles me on the bed, and starts tickling me. I laugh and roll around. We tucker ourselves out, and we both end up falling asleep on the floor. Today was a great day.

Hey guys! Sorry, today was short and boring, I need ideas for things to happen! There may not be an update for a few days, as I'm really busy with testing coming up! Please let me know any ideas you have in mind for chapters! Thanks, I love you all.

-Mads <3