Chapter 20 - License

The time has finally come where Mouse let me learn to drive. He and Jesse are going to teach me. I don't know how I convinced him, but I did.

"Come on, Mouse! Jesse and I are waiting!" I yell down the hall.

"He's probably crying in the bathroom." Jesse and I laugh.

"I'm coming, geez. Okay, let's go." Mouse says, walking out of his room.

Once we get in the car, Mouse sits in the back, while Jesse sits in the front. Mouse says he's too scared to sit in the front,
so he gave Jesse the job.

"Okay. What is the first step you need to do?" Jesse asks.

"I don't know! That's what you're supposed to teach me." I say back.

Jesse looks at me with his eyebrows raised. I slowly buckle my seatbelt.

"There you go. Okay, you need to take precautions. You learned this in the test. Show me what you know, and I'll correct anything." Jesse says.

I adjust my mirrors and headrest, check my lights, and move my seat up and back. I look at Jesse and smile.

"You're missing something." He says.

"What?"

He coughs and points to my door. "Maybe it'll be better if you actually close your door first?"

"Oopsie."

I turn on my car and put it into drive. I've done this before with a teacher, but never without one, so I was getting myself started and had Jesse help me if I forgot something.

I turn out of my parking spot from the street and head down to the stop sign at the end of the neighborhood.

"I know it's a neighborhood, but you can go a bit faster than 6 kmh." Jesse says.

I laugh. "Turn right." Jesse says.

I begin turning right. "Indicators!" Jesse says. I flick on my right indicator and drive down to the end of the next street.

We do this for the next 30 mins before driving back home.

"Well, I have to say, you did better than I thought you would." Mouse said, patting me on the back.

"What?" I get out of the car and shut the door. "You didn't have faith in me?"

"Not even a little." He says.

I scoff sarcastically.

~~~~~~

The next week, we head down to the DMV to take a driving test on paper and with an instructor.

"Okay, good luck. we'll be sitting out here." Mouse says. I smile.

They take me back into this small room with only a few other people in it with paper and pencils on the table.

I take a seat next to a girl my age. I smile at her and push my chair in.

An instructor walks in and shuts the door.

"Hello, children. Welcome to the Syndey DMV driving test on paper. The test is 30 questions long and will take approximately 20 minutes. Remember, there will be NO talking, NO cheating, NO drinking water, NO bathroom breaks, NO foot or pencil tapping, NO smiling, NO laughing, NO questions, NO blinking, and NO breathing. But remember, kids, have fun and do your best!" The lady says while taking a seat.

I look at the girl next to me, and we share a look before starting the test. The first question starts. 'What does a red octagonal sign mean?' I sigh. Stop obviously.

The test goes on for a good while, and yes, the questions did get harder. I walked out of the room and went to sit with Mouse and Jesse.

"How did it go?"

"Not too bad. The instructor was weird, though."

"Oh, when will you get the results back?"

"After the driving test. She said an assigned instructor is going to come along for the driving test." I say.

Mouse nods. 15 minutes an instructor calls my name. I get up and walk to him. Then he leads me out to the cars.

~~~~~~

I come back to Mouse and Jesse crying.

"What happened? Did you fail?" Jesse asks.

"What does it look like?" I say.

Mouse gets up. "I'm so sorry. You'll get another chance." He hugs me.

I start laughing. "Just kidding! I passed!" I jump up and down.

"Actually!?" Mouse asks.

"Yup! And I passed my written test! Which means i can get my license!"

"That's amazing! I'm so happy for you!" We all jump up and down before realizing we're in a public place.

~~~~~

Later that day, we get home, and u text Oliver the good news.

Me: Baby! Guess what!

Oliver: What?

I sent a photo of my license.

Oliver: Oh, cool, you got your license!

Me: Yeah! Now I can come and drive to your house!

Oliver: Yep

Hey guys! I know this chapter is short, I just needed a chapter of Elizabeth getting her license for ideas I have for other chapters. I hope you don't mind. Star and comment if you like it!

-Mads <33