Chapter 19 - Red Wrist

Mouse agreed that I could go with him down to the beach as long as I stayed close to the tower. So, of course, I took the opportunity. It was a sunny day out, so I was happy.

I still wasn't allowed my phone for a few more days, but I was happy I could at least go outside.

We made it down to Bondi Beach at around 10 in the morning for Mouse's shift. I looked out to the water and took on the smell of the salty ocean air.

"Alright. You can come in the tower with me or go out on the beach. But stay central and stay where I can see you. You are not to go in the water." Mouse says as we walk down the promenade.

"Yes, I know. I'm gonna go make a sandcastle or something like that." I say before running off.

I get down to the sand and sit down. There's not a lot of people on the beach this morning, which meant I had to sit around bored. I started packing the sand into a ball to see how big I could get it.

I thought about the other day and Oliver. I never got a chance to ask him why he would hurt me like that. Now, this may sound dramatic, but unfortunately, I'm one of the people who hold onto things. I felt like I was never gonna be able to let it go.

"BOO," someone yells from behind me.

I jump and scream.

"Oh my- Chase! Don't scare me like that. I nearly had a heart attack!" I say, putting a hand on my heart.

Chase laughs and sits down next to me. "What are you doing here? Aren't you grounded?" He asks.

"Yeah, I am, but my brother, Mouse, agreed to let me come as long as I stayed on the sand and where he can see me." I say.

"Oh, cool. Wait, your brother's name is Mouse?" He asks.

"Well, his real name is Michael, but the lifeguards down here always call him Mouse because he's so little." I explain. Chase laughs.

"So, how's It going with Oliver?" He asks while looking out to the ocean.

"Oh, I was actually gonna talk to you about that. But you can't tell anyone else." I say.

"Yeah, of course."

"I caught Oliver secretly drinking at school yesterday." I lay down on my back, and Chase follows. "Which is not only dangerous but illegal. And then his friends started making fun of me and just stood there and laughed." Chase sits up.

"What? Why would he do that?"

"I don't know. I wod ered the same thing, but I didn't get the chance to ask him."

"Omg Lizzy, I'm so sorry." Chase says and pulls me in for a hug.

"Yeah, but it's whatever, I guess." I say back.

"It's not whatever. That's not okay for someone to do."

"I know, but what can I do? I mean, I guess I could ask him, but I don't know what he will say. I have to wait until I get my phone back."

"Yeah, definitely ask him. It doesn't hurt to ask." Chase replies.

~~~~~~~~

4 days later, I finally got my phone back. What a relief. I had to sit down and talk to Mouse about never sneaking out again. I made sure to tell him I would NEVER do that again.

Oliver and I met up on the promenade later and got something to eat. I felt like this was my chance to ask him about the other day.

"Hey, Ollie?" I say, taking a slurp of my slurpee

"Yeah, baby?" He says back, leaning on the rail.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"Why did you drink with your friends the other day?" I ask.

He laughs sarcastically and rolls his eyes. "Would you let that go?"

Well, that caught me off guard. I don't know why he's acting like that.

"Baby, it just scared me, I was worried for you." I lightly place my hand on his wrist. He grabs my wrist and holds it tight.

"I told you to let it go! I'm not gonna ask you again." He grabs my wrist even tighter. Tears well in my eyes.

"Baby, you're hurting me." I say, my voice cracking.

"I don't care." He says solemly. I hold my wrist in pain. It's slightly red.

I swallowed and didn't bother saying anything that would upset him. This has happened once before, but I just brushed it off. Some days, he's like this, and some days, he's not.

"Come on, let's go back to my house." He says, gesturing for me to come.

~~~~~

I get back to my house and take a deep breath before walking in. I walked in, and Mouse was nowhere to be seen. I heard him and Jethro talking in his room, I quickly grabbed a jacket and put it on to cover my wrist before walking into his room.

"Hey guys." I say to Jethro and Mouse, who was looking at their new fishing lures.

"Hey, how'd it go? What'd you do?" Mouse asks

"Eh, not much, just walked around the promenade."

"Why are you wearing a jacket? It's 30⁰ out?" Jethro asks.

"Oh, this old thing? Uh, Oliver drove us down to the beach, and he kept his car really cold." I say nervously.

"But you walked." They both say.

"Yeah, well, he picked me up on the way there." I smile and walk out of the room.

I walk into the bathroom and get ready for a shower. I get in the steamy water and wash everything from today off my body. I look down at my wrist, which is red and bruised. I sigh and continue showering, then icing it afterward.

Hey guys! Sorry for the short chapter. I kind of needed a filler. I'm in a bit of writers block, so if you guys have any ideas, please let me know!

-Mads <33