Prologue - Hero

Hero

June 2018

"Do you have a minute this afternoon? We need to talk."

Oh, oh.

When Jamie, my manager, starts a conversation like this, there's never anything good on the horizon.
I sigh, running a hand through my hair.
"Yeah, where do we meet?" I close my eyes for a moment, thinking about what bad news I have to deliver.

I've been too pessimistic lately. I'm expecting a beating at any moment, but I feel like I can't help it.

"At the coffee shop near your house at 4:30, how about that?"

"Alright... See you later!" I sigh again, throwing my phone on the bed.
It's been a stressful time: back-to-back auditions for both the fashion agency and the film industry.
I've been back and forth from the States I don't know how many times.
Now that I have finally been in London for a week, looking for a bit of time off, I have the feeling that all this will be short-lived.
If it were good news, I wouldn't mind, of course, but I always expect the worst, I don't know for what absurd reason.
I have had no answer so far, which is to say: so much effort for nothing.
Jamie warned me: that's how it works, especially in the beginning.
What a bummer, though.

The phone rings again.
It's Felix and I already know what he wants to tell me.
"Fel, I'm coming!" I answer automatically putting the phone between my shoulder and cheek.
I grab my shoes on the fly and put them on. The bag with the change for the post-game is already ready in the living room. I just need to grab the ball and I can leave.

"Yo! Move your ass FT! We're just waiting for you!" He laughs amused.

"Yeah, I know! I'm coming!" I snort.

"Hey, are you okay?" He must have noticed my unfriendly tone.
I'm not mad at him, just annoyed by the situation.
I sigh, trying to calm my mind. Kicking the ball around twice will definitely help clear my head.
I can't keep thinking about those damn auditions all day!

"Yeah, just a little stress from work." I sigh, closing my eyes.
An afternoon playing football will do me good. It always manages to lift my spirits and this time it won't be any different.
I hope.

"Come on, you'll see that after I beat the shit out of you on the field, you'll have more to think about!" He bursts out laughing.
He's been my best friend forever.
I don't know what I would do without him.
I love him so much but... he's a big dickhead!

I hurriedly close my bedroom door and rush up the stairs.
"Hero are you there tonight for dinner?" Shouts my mum from the kitchen.

"I think so, I have to meet Jamie first! I'll let you know, okay?"

"Good news?" She bursts through the door with a beaming smile.
My mum. My heroine.
Despite always being busy between films to direct and art exhibitions to organise, she always finds time to spend time with us.
Well with me and Mercy, my sister. Titan has been gone from home for a few years now, he only comes back occasionally to visit us.

"I don't know... I don't think... She didn't seem very enthusiastic!" I shake my head a little disappointed.

"You'll see, it'll be fine eventually! You have to have faith, you know how these things go." She smiles.