Chapter 19 part 2

After one in the morning, in the depths of the Qinba Mountains.

The dense trees blocked out the sky, and the night was already pitch black, especially here, where you couldn't even see your own fingers.

However, in such a desolate place known as the 'dwelling of foxes and the haunt of wolves' by ancient people, at this moment, there was a corner with scattered lights shining through, accompanied by faint voices.

The light came from different sources: camp lights, light sticks, and wolf-eye flashlights.

A dozen or so men and women between the ages of twenty and forty were packing up their belongings and storing their tents under the light.

A petite young man pulled out a crumpled orange windbreaker from his backpack, shook it out, put it on, and put on a fancy magic headband. He jokingly asked a muscular man wearing a military green short-sleeved shirt on the opposite side, "Old Dao, look at me, I'm a hiking adventurer, do I look like one?"

Old Dao wasn't actually old, he was barely thirty. His skin was dark, and his square face had distinct features. He was wrapping a Type 56 military bayonet in cowhide. He squinted at the young man, "Yes, you really look like one, like a bird."

As he spoke, he pulled out the bayonet and made a move as if to stab it over. "Stuffing onions in a pig's nose, pretending to be an elephant!"

The short guy had anticipated his move long ago, let out a loud cry, and ran far away, standing there laughing. There was a fair-faced woman nearby who couldn't stand it. She shushed and scolded in a low voice, "What's the noise! Uncle Jiang is on the phone."

Lao Dao gave him a sidelong glance, his eyes full of schadenfreude.

The short guy, feeling disgruntled, adjusted his backpack and looked back diagonally.

There, dozens of meters away, on a small hill, stood a person who was making a phone call. Because of the backlight, his face couldn't be seen clearly, but he appeared to be of average height, standing very straight.

The short guy nudged Lao Dao with his elbow, "Hey, didn't we agree to stay in the mountains for half a month? Why are you in such a hurry to go back after only half of it?"

Lao Dao's words left him speechless, "What's wrong, not happy about going back? Have you fallen in love with this place?"

***

Jiang Baichuan was in the middle of a call when he saw Xing Shen coming up from the slope.

Xing Shen, about twenty-seven or twenty-eight years old, was tall and had a scholarly air. Even in this kind of place, he looked gentle and modest.

In the middle of the night, he was wearing sunglasses on his nose bridge, but no one nearby found it strange.

Because Xing Shen was blind.

Jiang Baichuan reached out his hand and made a gesture of hold on to Xing Shen, indicating that they would talk later.

He knew Xing Shen could see. Xing Shen's sense of smell was extremely sensitive, almost able to help discern direction. In addition, although he couldn't see the colors or details of objects, he could vaguely see a kind of light. When Xing Shen explained this to him, he used an analogy: everything emits light, visible or invisible—just because you can't see it with your naked eye doesn't mean there's no light, similar to sound frequencies that are inaudible to human ears, but that doesn't mean there's no sound.

Jiang Baichuan sometimes felt that it was a pity for Xing Shen to be blind, but at other times, he thought that without eyesight, Xing Shen had opened another kind of "eyes" in a different sense, which was also good as he saw things more simply and purely.