Chapter 40

Nie Jiuluo raised an eyebrow: "Really? Don't you think you're being overly suspicious and paranoid?"

Lying is fine as long as you have no evidence, and I adamantly refuse to admit it, so everything goes according to what I say.

Yan Tuo smiled, finally complying with her wish, stood up, picked up the tray, and politely excused himself.

Before leaving, he said, "We're not exactly close, so if you want to conceal something, I don't mind. However, Miss Nie, if you happen to know someone nicknamed 'Crazy Knife*,' please tell them on my behalf that Gouya's associates are paying close attention to them."
(*crazy knife = feng dao)

***

Nie Jiuluo watched Yan Tuo walk away.

He was right about one thing; she didn't care much about others, but she cared a lot about herself. It's like her curiosity about outsiders and external things was low, but when it came to herself and those around her, she would investigate thoroughly.

—"If you happen to know someone nicknamed 'Crazy Knife,' please tell them on my behalf that Gouya's associates are paying close attention to them."

After returning to her room, she contacted Jiang Baichuan and had a phone call with him.
The other party's code phrase was "Number eight, come to the South Ba Monkey Head Lame." However, Jiang Baichuan wasn't a fool: in movies and TV shows, cunning kidnappers always change the delivery location; you set up a trap at location A, but with one phone call, they demand an immediate change to location B. Everyone scrambles to move to the new location, only to be told that location C is the ultimate trading spot.

Therefore, Jiang Baichuan didn't invest heavily in the South Ba Monkey Head. So far, he had only sent a vanguard team of three, including a member of the Gou family, to scout the area and search for the meeting point around the South Ba Monkey Head.
This meeting point was what Nie Jiuluo was looking for.

Whether it was tracing ancestry or heritage, whether it was her or Xing Shen, they belonged to the ancient branch of Ba Mountain hunters.

Before the liberation, there was a saying North Ba Mountain, South Plum Mountain. Both Ba Mountain hunters and Plum Mountain hunters were renowned. However, Plum Mountain, located in the western part of Hunan, had a mystical aura due to its association with witchcraft. It was said that most Plum Mountain hunters were adept at spells, and the highest level Plum Mountain hunters were tiger hunters. So, the old saying goes, "Average Plum Mountain hunts in the mountains, superior Plum Mountain bends the bow to hunt tigers."

On the other hand, Ba Mountain hunters followed a straightforward approach, relying on listening, smelling, identifying feces, hoof prints, and other hunting methods. At its peak, there was a saying, "Average Ba Mountain hunts in the mountains, superior Ba Mountain lies in ambush underground."

However, this saying fell out of use because people who didn't understand thought it was problematic: Xiao (Owls) in ancient Chinese referred to evil birds and flying creatures, which were obviously in the sky, so how could they lie in ambush underground? It didn't make sense.

Furthermore, descendants of the tangled-head army deliberately kept their secrets, so over time, while many knew about Ba Mountain hunting, very few knew about superior Ba Mountain.

Ba Mountain hunters had a habit of looking for meeting points when hunting. In other words, in a certain area, they would first determine a location conducive to concealment and convenient for action. This location was called a meeting point, guarded by the best marksmen and most skilled hunters, known as sitting at the meeting point. During the hunt, others would do everything possible, make noise, and drive the prey towards the meeting point, where the person sitting would wait patiently and deal with them one by one.