Chapter 52

As Yan Tuo expected, as soon as he opened the car door, Nie Jiuluo woke up immediately.

Yan Tuo sat in the driver's seat and placed the large and small bags he was carrying behind him. "Do you want to eat something?"

Nie Jiuluo replied, "No."

"I bought quite a bit, both Western and Chinese. Eating now would be the best in terms of taste. Whether you eat early or late, you still have to eat. Don't worry, the restaurant has packed everything and delivered it. I can't tamper with it."

Indeed, after a night's consumption, it was necessary to replenish. Moreover, the various hot and fragrant smells were quite enticing.

Nie Jiuluo leaned over and looked through the bags in Yan Tuo's hands. There were indeed both Western and Chinese foods: coffee noodles, tofu brain, hamburger soup with oil, and spicy soup. There were also crispy and golden fried dough sticks with oil spots on the edge.

She reached out to pick up a piece of fried dough stick, hesitating as it was too oily and would dirty her hands.

Yan Tuo reminded her, "There are small plastic bags on the side."

Nie Jiuluo opened one, wrapped the fried dough stick in it, and picked up a cup of soy milk, inserting a straw and sipping it. Indeed, it tasted the best now, warm with a hint of sweetness, comforting from the throat to the stomach, and then to every part of the body.

Yan Tuo had actually wanted to eat a bowl of spicy tofu brain, but he changed his mind. The taste was too strong, and the car space was small. It would be better to eat something with a more consistent aroma. He also picked up a cup of soy milk and wrapped a fried dough stick in a plastic bag.

Outside the car, there were many elementary school students passing by. A little boy was pulling the pigtail of a girl in front of him, making the girl angry. She swung her school bag and chased after him, running and hitting him for half a street.

Yan Tuo finished half a fried dough stick while watching this scene.

Nie Jiuluo asked him, "Do you know about South Ba Monkey Head?"

Yan Tuo said, "I've heard about it these past few days, but I haven't been there and I don't know exactly where it is. They said they arranged to meet you there to exchange people?"

Nie Jiuluo nodded, "It's said that they hang people on trees there, and if we don't go, they will just keep hanging them. With this kind of weather, it won't take long for people to freeze to death. After they die, they will hang up a new one until they have sent all the captured people."

Yan Tuo imagined the scene for a moment, feeling a tingling sensation on his scalp.

Nie Jiuluo asked him, "Do you think they would do such a thing, or is it just talk?"

After a while, Yan Tuo said, "They are capable of doing it."

Nie Jiuluo almost choked on the last piece of fried dough stick, and it took her a lot of effort to swallow it down. She asked, "Would calling the police help?"

Yan Tuo shook his head, "First of all, I haven't been to South Ba Monkey Head, but judging by the name, I know it's in the deep mountains, with no roads, and it takes one or two days to get there. It's a problem for the police to get in. Secondly, the police need a reason to intervene. You also said it's just rumored. What evidence do you have to prove that people are really hanging from trees there?"

Nie Jiuluo remained silent. She had some experience with calling the police before and knew the basic procedures. Currently, there was indeed no evidence.