Chapter 42

WARNING: This chapter contains scenes of violence and perilous situations.

Uncle?

If it weren't for knowing in advance that there was indeed a child nearby, Yan Tuo would have been startled by this sudden sound. He turned on the flashlight on his phone and shone it towards the source of the sound.

The patch of reeds swayed lightly, and a child was struggling to climb out. It was the same child he glanced at earlier, wearing a blue and yellow hoodie, with the hood covering his head. His body was trembling, and his dirty hands were tucked into the sleeves. With each movement, he uttered a vague and trembling "uncle."

Was he injured? Honestly, when the light from Xiong Hei's car swept over, Yan Tuo couldn't tell if the child had been crushed. He hurriedly bent down to help.

Just as his hand was about to touch the child's shoulder, Yan Tuo suddenly felt something was wrong. The child had just called out "uncle" twice, but now that he thought about it, there was no change in tone, unlike a natural voice...

Alerted, he quickly withdrew his hand. But before he could stand up, the child suddenly lifted its head and made a guttural sound in its throat, its claw reaching towards his throat.

This wasn't a child!

This was the most disgusting thing Yan Tuo had ever seen in his life. He immediately thought of a locust, commonly known as a grasshopper. Of course, it didn't have antennae. Its head was triangular, with its mouth and nose at the bottom, and its eyes were twice the size of a normal person's, positioned near the sides of its head. This made the center of its face empty and eerie.

It was something that was definitely not human, yet it was wearing a human hoodie. Just moments ago, it even called out uncle.

If it were an ordinary person, they might have been scared out of their wits on the spot. Fortunately, Yan Tuo had witnessed some things in the underground of the farm that ordinary people couldn't endure, so his mental resilience was okay. In an instant, he turned his head sharply: there was a sharp pain on his neck as the locust's sharp claw tore through his flesh — he even felt as if the claw had penetrated his bone, emitting a grinding sound.

Luckily, if it had been slightly displaced and severed his throat or carotid artery, he would have died on the spot.

Furious, Yan Tuo instinctively kicked out, sending the locust flying, but for a small and agile creature, this kind of kick was nothing at all. After rolling on the ground, the locust kicked its hind legs and sprang out of the reeds again.

Damn, even if one didn't know what this thing was, how many people would be willing to fight it even if it were just a rabid wild cat?

Yan Tuo bolted.

The wind whistled in his ears, blood continued to flow from his wound, hot and spicy, and the urgent he-lu sound kept echoing behind him. It darted left and right, reminding people of the continuous and terrifying whistle emitted by headhunters when hunting prey. Yan Tuo's footsteps didn't stop as he hurriedly turned around and fired a shot nearby.

His marksmanship was good, almost comparable to that of a professional shooter shooting moving targets, but the locust wasn't a target. In the darkness, its jumping figure almost became a blur. Yan Tuo's shot missed, and he didn't dare to linger, putting all his strength into running.

Far away, Xing Shen stood still, fingers pressed against his mouth, producing a whistle that was barely audible to human ears.

Yan Tuo's breathing became heavier, his steps heavier, and at a certain moment, he suddenly realized that the locust wasn't attacking him, but chasing him.