PART ONE Chapter One Out-of-Tune Piano

A/N: he could run me over with the löded diper van and i'd thank him

Y/N POV:

I still remember that stupid out-of-tune piano that sat in the back of the middle school cafeteria for God knows why and God knows how long.

If it weren't for that stupid out-of-tune piano I'd never have met him.

Rodrick Heffley.

I sat down on that rickety wooden piano bench and did a few scales. School was over, and I was just waiting for my dad to come pick me up. I didn't see any teachers that would yell at me, so I decided to wait by playing at the piano.

When I was really little my mom wanted me to play an instrument, so she signed me up for piano lessons. I quit the summer after eighth grade because my instructor was annoying as hell, but I continued practicing on my own time. I could play by ear okay, and I was more interested in playing my own tunes and things.

A cough that clearly wasn't a cough echoed through the cafeteria, mixed with the word "nerd."

I stopped and turned abruptly around to see a boy I only knew because the teachers would always bitch at him and he'd occasionally make snide comments about me.

"Heffley, if you're late to my class one more time, I'll give you detention."

"Heffley, why didn't you turn in the assignment?"

"Heffley, this assignment was due last semester."

"Heffley, if I have to tell you to be quiet one more time..."

He wasn't a kid I would talk to. I was perfectly fine within my group of "nerds".

I glared at him before turning around and began pounding out the intro to Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

When I was done, I turned around. "You were saying?"

Heffley just started back, his jaw slightly ajar.

Nevertheless, he never bothered me after that.

Except he did, but in a different way.

Instead of constant, relentless teasing, it was more like:

"Hey, L/N, can you help me with this question?"

"What did the teacher just say?"

"How did you learn to be so good at piano?

"You know, I play the drums."

"Aw, are you going to miss me once we hit high school?"

"In your dreams, Heffley."

And so on.

So now I'm here.

Draped across my bed like the dramatic teenager I am, a junior in high school. My phone still rests on a dirty Ratt shirt across the room where I threw it yesterday after my best friend, Axel, accused me of having a crush on Rodrick.

Why the fuck would I have a crush on Rodrick Heffley?

In freshman year, I drifted from my middle school friends and met Axel, who I love to death. We met Penny, and Penny was friends with Kalon, who was friends with Rodrick. Soon enough we all started hanging out, and eventually Rodrick's friends, these twins named Jonah and Malachi joined us.

Rodrick would always brag about his band, Löded Diper. Rodrick plays the drums, Kalon plays the bass, Malachi plays acoustic guitar and sometimes back-up electric, while his twin Jonah plays lead electric.