Chapter Two Bathroom, My Ass

RODRICK POV:

What the hell do you even wear to a dinner at your own house? Do I wear church clothes, or just my normal band tee, or—

Why do I even care?

"Rodrick, honey, she's here!" My mom yells from downstairs, and I panic, pacing my room like a dog. I throw on a clean shirt and jeans and try to comb my hair down. It's still kind of damp from my shower.

"Rodrick!" My mom calls again, her tone slightly less patient. I practically fall down the stairs and arrive in the living room, where Y/N and her parents are standing. Y/N looks nice. She's wearing a skirt, which isn't totally out of the norm for her, but still nicer than usual. She's also carrying a fat purse, which is a bit out of the element.

Shit, was I supposed to wear something better?

"You must be Rodrick, I don't think we've met formally." Y/N's dad holds out his hand, and I take it carefully, my heart thudding like my bass drum. I don't want him to think I'm a total dirtbag. I'm more scared of her mom.

"Nice to meet you." I say hurriedly, jerking from my thoughts and risking a glance at Y/N. She looks like she's trying not to laugh.

The parents start their own conversation, but man the food on the table smells good.

Eventually we finally get to go sit, and Greg comes down to join us. Quinn, Y/N's little sister sits next to Greg and they start yapping about middle school things. Good. Fine. Whatever keeps Greg away from me.

Y/N takes a seat next to me, and eye contact keeps happening. I swear she's smiling at her plate, but maybe mom's cooking is just really good tonight. We talk about the band and what songs we want to rehearse next week. Light dinner conversation.

I notice our parents getting along fine, and allow some tension out of my shoulders. Her parents aren't going to take Y/N away from me.

"YOU have a crush on Holly Hills, don't you?" Quinn's obnoxiously loud voice jolts me from my thoughts.

Oh my God. Dirt on Greg?

The table goes uncomfortably silent.

Finally, mom speaks up. "You have a crush on who, Greg?" She's smiling, overly excited.

"I don't have a crush on anyone! And who is Holly Hills?" Greg glares knives at Quinn, and Y/N and I make eye contact and try really hard not to laugh.

"Is that Heather's younger sister?" Y/N asks, rolling her eyes. Heather is the opposite of the crowds Y/N has always hung around.

"Yeah." Greg answers, upon which the adults laugh softly.

"So you do know a Holly Hills?" Y/N asks innocently, setting her fork down.

"What?! No!" Greg pouts, and at this point I just laugh.

"Quiet down boys." Mom says sternly, glancing between us and her guests.

"SHE started it!" Greg yells, pointing at Quinn.

"I need to use the restroom." Y/N announces, excusing herself with a big smile.

Her mom gives her the "you okay" look, and Y/N nods.

I finish my food and lean back in my chair, but my mom has other plans.

"Rodrick, since you're done, why don't you do the dishes?"

After finishing the dishes, well, making Greg finish the dishes, I head back upstairs.

Sitting on my bed is a board game. Oh no, not one of mom's attempts at a "bonding" opportunity.