Chapter Eight MY EAR Y/N MY EAR

RODRICK POV:

"I'm home, mom!" I call out as I enter the house. Y/N trails behind me like a bodyguard.

"You're early," Mom sounds surprised as she rounds the corner then gasps. "Rodrick, what did you do—?"

Y/N steps from behind me, a guilty look on her face. "It's my fault, Mrs. Heffley." She pauses while my mom fixes her with the mom stare. "I was going to get my top piercing tonight," Y/N shows her the new piercing, holding a finger behind her ear. "And I knew Rodrick was upset, so I wanted to comfort him, yet I couldn't cancel my appointment."

Y/N clears her throat, the perfect image of remorse. "And I thought maybe he could get his pierced, and then once he's able to change them out we could do matching studs or something." Y/N hangs her head.

"I should have asked you first, I'm sorry." Y/N lowers her voice, and I can tell it's not all an act. She probably does feel bad for kinda-sorta going behind my mom's back. I don't want her to stress though, so I stand beside her.

"Oh, Y/N, don't stress," Mom insists. I think she really likes Y/N to be this forgiving, which makes me smile to myself. "As long as he takes them out for church, I don't see why it's so bad." She sounds like she's trying to convince herself, but she at least smiles.

I have the feeling dads reaction won't be the same.

"Thank you, Mrs. Heffley." Y/N smiles and mom shrugs a smile of her own on her face.

"Oh, call me Susan, Y/N." She insists, and Y/N smiles for real. Makes me kinda happy too.

~~~~

One Week Later

As soon as I finish dinner, I sprint up the stairs and grab my phone.

I tap the call button on Y/N's profile so many times my phone freezes and I groan in frustration before it works.

"Hey Roddy—" She begins, and despite the teasing nickname, I cut her off.

"Y/N, I'm dying it hurts like hell," I complain, grabbing my earlobe and rushing into the bathroom so I can check my mirrors in the mirror. "You have to help me."

Y/N laughs. Fucking laughs. Can't she tell I'm dying? "Calm down, Rodrick." She soothes, a giggle still in her voice. "What did you do?"

"My ear, Y/N, my ear." I lean closer to the mirror, horrified at the red appearing.

"You pussy, you didn't clean it last night or this morning did you?" Y/N sounds like she's trying not to burst into laughter again.

"Well," I clear my throat, glancing at the bottle of antiseptic. "I— cleaned it the night we got home." I reply.

"You haven't cleaned it since?!" Y/N gasps, and I know she's not faking her shock.

"No! I have, you know, like whenever I remember." I finish my sentence quietly.

"Well no wonder you have an infection." Y/N mutters.

"I have an infection?!" I cry, slamming my forehead against the mirror to stare at my infection.

"You'll be okay, you baby." Y/N giggles, and I lean away from the mirror and smirk at my reflection.

"Say that again without the 'you'." I demand, and Y/N pauses.

"You'll be okay, baby." She sighs, and I smile, squishing my phone between my ear and shoulder so I can grab a q-tip to use the antiseptic.

"That's better," I smirk again and open the bottle. "I'm going to try and fix it—"