Chapter Ten Duet and Dipers

A/N: yes sir.

Y/N POV:

"Why are you so insistent on going to the talent show if the band can't perform?" My mom questions. It's the night of the talent show, the one Löded Diper can't perform in because the secret of the party got leaked.

I told my mom that the reason we couldn't perform was because Rodrick got in trouble at school before we were dating and his mom just found out. Yes, I lied to save my own ass, but you do what you have to do.

"Because you know Quinn's doing that duet thingy with her classmate. I wanna support her." I explain, pulling on sheer black tights underneath my skirt.

My mom raises her eyebrows. She clearly doesn't believe me.

"If Rodrick can go to support Greg, I can do the same for my sister." I say seriously, and my mom sighs and gives up.

"Quinn's already ready, so be ready to leave in ten." Mom tells me as she leaves the room.

I sigh dramatically and dig my phone out of my bag. I text Rodrick to complain about not being able to be in the talent show again. He's pissed, but he has to go as well because I think Greg's doing something in the talent show.

I text in the band group chat (the one that also has Axel, Penny, and Frankie, so really not the band group chat, I guess just the friend group chat that happens to be everyone that hangs out at band practice) in the car. Mom drones on and on about how excited she is to see Quinn's performance.

I'm kind of excited to see it as well. We're both musical enough, me in the band playing piano and all, but Quinn's more for singing than instruments.

I mean she tried the recorder in elementary school, but who the hell really kept up with the recorder?

We find our seats soon enough, and I'm glad I settled for a cute top and no jacket, because it's warm in the auditorium.

We find Rodrick's family, and Quinn and Greg disappear together. Our parents start yapping about whatever, and Rodrick rolls his eyes and takes a seat.

I slide my hand on top of his as the lights dim, turned towards him with a worried expression. "You okay?"

Rodrick bites his lip and sighs before replying. "Yeah. It's— whatever."

"It's not whatever, it sucks." I amend. My phone buzzes on my lap, and I glance down at the notification.

LOML FAVORITE EVER: Loml wya?

It's from Axel.

I smile and slip from my hand from Rodrick's to reply. Of course my best friend who has a girlfriend and me who has a boyfriend would still call me love of her life.

I furrow my brow in confusion though as I type my response.

Y/N: wydm? r u at the talent show?

LOML FAVORITE EVER: Yuh. Penny gave me a ride cuz one of her siblings is in it

Y/N: i'm coming to find u 😈

"I'm going to find Axel, but I'll be right back." I whisper to Rodrick as the announcer begins the event.

Rodrick nods and I kiss his cheek before squirming out the aisle. My mom nods at me as I mouth "Axel" in explanation.

A girl in a hot pink dress that makes me wonder what parent let their middle school daughter wear it flounces onto the stage. My sister follows, in an equally flamboyant dress.