Chapter Two Running

You run and run away from something and it still comes back.

Like school.

And Y/N.

Although I guess she's the one who ran, well more like walked... Ugh why am I thinking about her anyway.

I'm not allowed band practice on days I have summer school and it won't be over until almost the end of July.

This is bullshit.

Of course my parents are pissed. And of course I had to listen to my mom: "But you were improving with Y/N around... and I don't understand why your final exam grades were so bad..."

Okay Susan.

I can't even tell her Y/N and I broke up, because she'll probably kick me out or something. And since Y/N hasn't been coming over or even going to band practice, I said she's on vacation.

Obviously I wasn't really paying attention in summer school today, so I sit on my bed trying to figure out my geometry worksheet I didn't finish. Or start, really.

I open my text app for help. My first thought is to text Kalon for help, since he's really smart at math.

Well, maybe I'm lying. He wasn't my first thought.

Y/N was.

But she doesn't want my help. And besides, I don't want hers.

I think.

Kalon doesn't answer, and after a full three minutes, my patience is up.

I text Y/N, my palms annoyingly sweaty. I wipe them aggressively on my jeans before tapping her contact. Her name looks naked without the little "<33" beside it.

To be honest, I only took it off because Malachi saw. He didn't say anything, but I know he saw. Maybe I only kept it because I thought things would go back to normal.

I guess I haven't accepted whatever's happening now.

Rodrick: hey y/n?

Y/N: hm?

Thank God she actually replied.

Rodrick: uh can u help me w my geo?

Y/N: like world geo?

I resist the urge to smack myself in the face with my notebook. I'm such an idiot.

Rodrick: geometry

Y/N: oh

The typing bubble appears, disappears, and reappears. I'm practically sweating. I don't know why, but I swear if she doesn't answer I'm going to leap—

Y/N: yeah i can, do u wanna call rq to do it?

Rodrick: yes please :)

My hands are practically shaking as I tap the call button. What if she just hangs up and decides at the last minute she's done with my stupidity?

"Hey," Y/N's voice is neutral, and painfully familiar. "What's the first problem say?"

I sigh. Straight to the point, not even a "how you doing?".

"Uh," I stutter, unsure what the symbol in the first problem means. "Greater sign..." I pause.

"Greater sign?" Y/N echos. Even annoyed, I missed her voice over my phone.

This is stupid.

The math, not Y/N. Well, a little bit the whole thing with Y/N.

"Just FaceTime so I can see the freaking problem." Y/N instructs, and I practically drop my phone trying to hit the FaceTime button.