Chapter Five Chicks Dig Bad Boys

RODRICK POV:

I'm officially the biggest dumbass in the history of dumbasses.

It's been almost a week since the party. A week since Y/N clearly stated her feelings for me.

I'm not a total dumbass though. I realize I like her, and I told Kalon. He told me if I don't do something about it he'll lock us in a closet again, this time longer for seven minutes.

I'm about to just let him, because my brain is blanking.

It's Wednesday, and everything has been as smooth as possible since the party. Apparently some dumbass vandalized the bathroom door during the party, and Greg and me had to fix it.

The final bell just rang, thank God, but there's no band practice today, so I'm a bit surprised when Y/N comes running up to me in the parking lot.

Things haven't been, awkward exactly, but I think I fucked up big time never answering her question. I've played it over a million times in my head.

And whatever numbers bigger than a million, that's how many times I've replayed the kiss in the closet. I swear I smile everytime I pass that fucking closet and get butterflies just remembering the way she grabbed my shirt and kissed me.

"Uhm, I just wanted to give you your shirt back." Y/N looks flustered as she shoves my Blink-182 shirt into my hands. "I washed it."

I laugh without opening my mouth. "Thanks Y/N."

"I had to lie to my dad about it when I came home." She laughs.

I lean my back against my van. "How so?"

"When I came home he was like 'Whose shirt is that?' and I was like 'Axel's' so he's like 'Why are you wearing her shirt?'" Y/N laughs. "I could have been partially honest since I spilled something but oh well. I told him 'Because it was cooler than mine.'"

I smirk at her. "I mean, it is."

"You can't compare Led Zeppelin and Blink-182." Y/N deadpanned.

I throw my hands up in mock surrender. "Sorry Y/N."

"You better be." She pokes my shoulder and then smiles. "I think my dad finally likes you since he sees how happy I get for band practice and whatnot."

A loud horn interrupts my reply. "Am I taking you home or not Y/N?" Jonah leans out of his car window, and Frankie in the passenger seat smiling at her.

"Yeah yeah." Y/N glances back at me before recklessly throwing her arms around my neck. "Bye Rodrick." She whispers in my ear. I can feel myself blushing as I hug her back.

Frankie whistles and Jonah smirks at her as she gets in the back of his car.

"I was this close to making Jonah leave you so you would go with Rodrick." I hear Frankie tell Y/N, who babbles incoherent protests.

I smile to myself as I get into my van, putting the Blink-182 t-shirt on my passenger seat.

~~~~

Never a day in my life since that demon was born did I think I would ever get along with Greg.

But mom forced us to spend time together, and it hasn't been terrible. I told Y/N about some of it, and she thought it was good for me but hopes she never has to do the same with Quinn.

Now we're fooling around in a gas station. I taught him the classic fake vomit trick and we bought some snacks.

He's not too terrible once he loosens up.

He's finally opening up about that Holly girl that Quinn mentioned at dinner that one time. I knew he liked her.

He completely loses it when her literal name is brought up, which must be a classic trait of Whipped-Heffley-Boy disease.

We sit down on the curb underneath a dying street light and break open a bag of chips. I think it's also time to break out some big brother advice.

"I mean, hey, don't take it hard," I nudge Greg. "Girls act like they're not into you, when they really are." I eye him, and he smiles, grabbing a handful of chips.

"I mean, tons of girls act like they're not into me, but they are." I tell him, giving him a knowing look.

Greg laughs, then pauses and glances at me suspiciously. "But you just like the one, right?"

Y/N's name hangs in the air unsaid.

I clear my throat, crumpling the chip bag. Stupid kid is smarter than he lets on.

"Yeah," I take a few chips. "I do. And I was a complete dumbass about it." I sigh, thinking about how I carried her up to my bed when she fell asleep on the couch. I went down to sleep on the couch so I wouldn't make her uncomfortable.

"You screwed up?!" Greg shouts, suddenly outraged. "I really like Y/N and you know mom and dad do too. If you fuck this up, you're never going to find another one like her."

I'm flabbergasted. Mostly on Greg's strong opinion of Y/N, and partially on his swearing. "I know I'm never going to find someone like her," I mumble, more to myself than to Greg. "And I didn't necessarily fuck up, I just haven't answered..." I trail off. Greg doesn't need the full story. What I know now though, is for once, Greg is right.

I fucked up.

As soon as I'm home, I plop onto my bed and grab my phone, clicking on Y/N's texts.

Hey, you free friday night?

I hit send before I can stop myself.

~~~~

A/N: AHHH U GUYS BETTER GO LISTEN TO FIRST DATE BY BLINK-182 ITS PLOT REVELANT AND OMG THATS MY FAVORITE BLINK-182 SONG I LOVE THEM I GOT THEIR GREATEST HITS VINYL AND IM SO HAPPY ANWAY

i love you guyss good night <33

- wheezely