Chapter Four Crickets

RODRICK POV:

I'm kissing Y/N's neck like the world's fucking ending. I'll stay here forever in this closet if that's what she wants. I missed this so bad.

"Oh my God, we can't be doing this..." Y/N whispers. She sounds scared.

I immediately pull away, beyond confused. "Who cares? Whatever's happening between us isn't the world's business." I try to move in for another kiss, but she puts her hands on my chest, putting a sliver of space between us. I take my hands away from her waist.

"Nothing's happening." Y/N says, but it sounds like she's talking to herself.

"I beg to differ." I reply, using my largest vocabulary.

"Again with the big words, Heffley?" Y/N asks, finally dropping her hands from my chest.

"Again with the teasing, L/N?" I step back and lean against the opposite wall, which really doesn't put that much space between us.

Y/N throws herself against the closed door. "AXEL LET ME OUT!"

"Nope you still have three minutes!"

I think Y/N is going to throttle them when she finally gets to.

I lean down, my lips near her ear. "Oh, because you won't be able to resist me if you stay?" I lower my voice to a teasing tone.

Crickets. Literal fucking crickets. My face is on fire.

She wants me.

WHY DO I FUCKING CARE.

~~~~

Y/N POV:

I glare daggers at Axel as I finally leave the closet, my face burning. My stomach is still unsettled, especially due to the unfairly sexy tone he used with me after I begged Axel to let me out.

I clamber into Frankie's car slightly dazed. As a nerd, I understand the chemicals my thoughts are swimming in right now, but it doesn't make it any easier to process.

"What took you so long?" Frankie asks as she pulls away from the Heffley residence. It takes me nearly eight tries to buckle my seatbelt.

"Nothing." I insist. I'll eventually have to talk about what happened, but a bit of time to process it would be more than welcome.

Frankie affirms that I was civil and tells me she'll not only pay for my boba, but she'll get me a snack.

I smile in thanks but gratefully listen to her talk so I don't have to. I'd probably be a stuttering mess.

Oh, because you wouldn't be able to resist me if you stay?

FUCK HIM.

Mostly because he's right.

Frankie parks and we walk into the little shop. Luckily, she knows my order by heart and orders for me so I don't have to try human interaction. I point at the Pocky flavor I want like a child and Frankie happily orders it for me.

"Jonah mom's trying to help us get a battle of the bands type thing set up, probably funded by the library..." Frankie begins telling me, and I nod along, adding things when it seems right.

Frankie's pretty observant of her friends and it only takes her a few sentences to realize something's up.

"What's going on, Y/N?" She asks, clearly concerned.

"Nothing, just thinking." I smile. I do want to tell her, but not yet.

"Alright." She lets it go, not wanting to push me.