𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔰𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

March, 506 AD

Following a long day of training with the horses, I curled up in bed with my tablet and played one of my favourite movies I hadn't seen in a while: 'Alvin and the Chipmunks'! Call me childish, but I love those singing little rodents and the mischief they cause. Especially Alvin – he's my childhood hero. 

Unfortunately, I was interrupted by knocking on my door just as Dave's dinner date with his lady-friend Claire was starting. 

"Yeah?" I called out in annoyance after removing my earphones, turning off the tablet and hiding it under a pillow. "It is Merlin," came a reply. "Oh." I grabbed my tablet once more and put in one earphone, hoping that he might want to join me. "Come in," I called. The boy entered the room, closed the door hastily, and began pacing. I glanced up at him and noticed the mix of worry and annoyance on his face. So I turned off the tablet and set it aside once more. "'S everything okay?" I asked. 

Merlin's pacing ceased as he turned to look at me. 

"I...accidentally did something I really should not have done..." he said cryptically. "Without inviting me? Rude – but go on." He sent me a pointed look before moving to sit on the bed next to me, leg bouncing up and down. I removed the earphone I had on and gave him my undivided attention. "Gaius asked me to fetch a book from the library and, as I was searching for it, I stumbled into a secret chamber." 

My eyes widened in wonder at the idea of a secret room in the library. It sounded awesome! But I said nothing, eager to hear the rest of the story. 

"Then I accidentally dropped a box, and it opened, and a...little green creature came out of it." 

I laughed. 

"A little green creature?" I asked, picturing a cricket or something of the sort. "Yeah, a humanoid, elf-like creature." "Oh." Merlin nodded as my smile faded – but it returned quickly. "And then what?" I asked excitedly. He shook his head in disapproval at my misplaced joy. "I took it to Gaius's quarters, hoping to keep it hidden, but it began to wreak havoc all over; and when I attempted to put him back in the box, he turned into a little yellow light and left. I cannot find him now!" he finished his story. 

I was soon laughing again. 

"Ah...sorry. I'll obviously help you find it," I assured my friend once I managed to compose myself. He sighed in relief. "You are the best!" "I know, I know." 

After putting on a blue camouflage hoodie to replace the loss of warmth from having to get out of bed and locking my room, I followed Merlin into the corridor and we began looking for the little green creature in every room. 

"Does he...it...have a name?" I wondered. "Sorry, I did not stop to ask," my friend replied sarcastically. I gaped at him, amused that he'd taken a page out of my playbook; but the retort I had wanted to get out was silenced as we came across a fallen portrait. "That's not supposed to be there," I stated the obvious. "The green creature likes to drop things..." Merlin informed me, then picked up the painting and hung it back in its place.